1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Vintage Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redstrand, Mar 15, 2008.

1. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I was hanging out at my local shop...helping out with some computer stuff. Got done and spied this little beauty that needs some TLC. It plays great and sounds pretty good for having one pickup. It's a 1960's EKO 995. neck is straight, intonation took a quick adjustment and it sounds cool. For a swap of services, the price can't be beat...now I need to get the other pickup and some pickup rings...might even get other pickups. This will be a fun project.

IMG_2087.

IMG_2086.

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Cool stuff man. Is that bridge movable? (Like a double bass bridge) If so, could you move it so that the bass side is even with the treble side? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldent that help with intonation?

3. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The upper part of the bridge has four little screws (like a regular bridge)....couple of quick turns and it was good to go.

4. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Well this bass will be awesome...my friend who is a luthier has already replaced the nut, fixed a hole towards the upper left part above the neck.
    he pulled the pickup and is going to wind a new one to match. He is also going to fabricate some pickup rings. The pickup in there is the neck pickup...tested it and about 7.8K...that's normally a neck reading...the bridge will be 13K. Thankfully he has a EKO guitar and knows his way around an Italian Bass(He was super jealous). It's already comfy...should be great once its all together.

5. I jealous! Check that uber thin neck, very nice!

6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    It'll be a joy to jam with...learned a Beatles tune yesterday just to make sure the karma is there...lol!