Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first visit to Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 9, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am currently in Nashotah Wisconsin taking a littel visit, i will be leaving early Saturday morning. This is the first time i have ever been to the state of Wisconsin and i am a littel suprised at how built up it is, i was kind of expecting a littel more open farm land.What have your expirences of Wisconsin been?.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

You are in the most populated part of Wisconsin. Anything from Madison to Millwaukee to Oshkosh is mostly cities with short areas of countryside. Go Straight north or West of Madison and it more country-esc.

3. MAJOR METAL

Oh that explains alot, thanks odie :)

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yep, now come up north of Marshfield. They call it the Northwoods for a reason :) I can't wait to get out...

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Madison is a great college town. I was just there recently, and had a blast at some of the off-campus frats. We also travelled through the country, around New Glarus, which is kind of the "little Switzerland" of Wisconsin, that's probably the "country" side of the state. On the way in, we went up through Rockford IL, and on the way back, we went through Milwaukee, and saw some of the tourist attractions there. There's a few really good clubs in that neck o' the woods, if you're interested in that kind of thing. One in particular (I forget what it's called right now, but it'll come to me as soon as the anesthetic wears off :D), that used to be a mob speakeasy during Prohibition, where they have all kinds of secret exits and stuff. I love Wisconsin, it's a great state. Great people too, some of the friendliest folks around. :)

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

What have your experiences of Wisconsin been?

Cheese curds reWl, dude... :cool:

Really, my experiences are centered on way too much food indulgence with my wife's family, and lazing around the lake up near Hayward in the summertime the last three years. It's pretty rural where we hang out. I'd love to check out Madison, actually.

7. Never been there, but my brother is probably moving to Madison within the year. His girlfriend is going there for graduate school and they're getting pretty serious.

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Quoted for truth. If you like cheese at all, cheese curds are so so good.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Ain't that the truth. Worth the visit just for the cheese IMO.

Kevin,
    if you go west of madison, within 30 minutes or so you'll start to encounter what you're expecting. Go further west/southwest and it gets real sparse real fast.

10. The Safe House!

I'm embarrassed to say I have absolutely no idea where Nashotah is. I've lived in SE Wisconsin for most of my life. PM me if you've got an opportunity to get together tonight or tomorrow night!

11. Dude, stop roping others into your cheese-laden hell. ;)

12. Yummy cheese-laden hell...

13. Ooooh, well since you put it that way, I just bought a ticket. Be right there...

"Yummy" changes everything. :D

14. MAJOR METAL

I promised i would bring back some cheese for my friend who took me to the airport, now i just need to find some. :)

15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The Safe House! That's it! :cool:

That place is a lot of fun. Even if you don't drink. It's well worth a checkout, if you happen to be around that neck o' the woods. :)

16. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Cheese is one there there is plenty of. I only live about 20 minutes away from Colby.... hmmm, colby cheese and point root beer....

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just about anything north of Stevens Point is "northwoods". The further north you go the more "open" country you'll find.

Milwaukee, Madison and the Fox Valley areas are the most populated areas of the state. Just about everywhere else is fairly open. Up north, there are a lot of State forests to get lost in, and Door County (north of Green Bay, Sturgeon Bay) is beautiful, but mostly in the spring through autumn months (which fall basically between May and early October).

It's pretty much winter the rest of the year. :rollno:

Wisconsin really only has two seasons...(winter and road construction). Cheese, Brats, Beer, and the Green Bay Packers pretty much sums up the life here for most folks.

18. MAJOR METAL

It is snowing right now :) .

19. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    You gotta add polka. There's this polka band in the southern part of the state that has a song called Snow and Beer and Cheese.

20. i live about 15 minutes away from point, and i find it silly to believe that north of point is considered northwoods. i'd say north of wausau. there is a lot of farmland around my town...
    right now i am up in superior, and that is far up north! and its snowing today as well. yikes...

Wisconsin Rules!