Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjbrowne, Jul 18, 2005.

1. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    I just completed my first warmoth. It's a warmoth tele body in black korina with maple/maple tele p neck. SD quarter pounder scpb at the neck and j at the bridge. Gotoh 206 string through bridge, and schaller tuners.

It currently has rotosound rs 77ld flatwounds on it and the sound and feel is just incredible. First try with flatwounds.

The finish is tru oil and wax, about 20 coats on the body and 10 on the neck and it feels and plays great.

I was suprised how easy it was to build and finish and I got exactly what I was looking for. I cant wait to try another.

Attached Files:

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    The wood of the neck and body go together really well. Looks like it was put together solid.

I'm not a big fan of that body style though- neck dive for the lose.

How long did it take you to put it together? What tools did you use? Did you do any oil finish on the body or neck?

3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    looks great. Sound Clips?

4. I was just looking at the Warmoth site the other day !! Thought about a Gecko 6, solid Lacewood body in purple dye.

Glad to see your so happy with yours !!

Congrats !!

5. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Finishing took about 3 weeks with tru oil. Very easy to use. Drying took the most of that. Assembly took about 2 days.

Tools used-sandpaper, steelwool, old socks, paper towels, soldering iron, various screwdrivers.

Neck dive is there but manageable, maybe some lighter tuners.

6. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Sorry not yet that sophisticated yet, and the bass plays way better then I do.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That thing is beatiful! That's an old school P pickup right?

8. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Yep. Seymour Duncan SCPB Quarter Pounder.Great sound. Alittle more modern sound then the original 51scpb.

9. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    One question for everyone. Should I put the warmoth decal on the headstock or leave it naked and let everyone guess?

10. No warmoth decal, put something funny, clever, offensive, etc...on there and let people guess! Nice job on the bass, looks awesome!!!

11. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Chances are they'll guess right whether you put the decal on or not. The body identifies it as something other than a Fender, and there aren't that many retro parts makers who do a Tele bass headstock. Probably three or four all told. If the people you hang out with are bassists and guitarists, Warmoth will be at the tip of their tongues. If they aren't, they might not care one way or the other.

Nice job, by the way. Did you drill the neck holes yourself? My only reservation about Warmoth is that the nut isn't installed (props to Mighty Mite for doing this) and the neck mounting holes aren't drilled. That's an additional charge at your local music store.

12. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    The neck was very easy to drill. Just fit the neck to the body, mark the neck through the body,mark your drillbit for the correct depth and drill.

Also I was able to find a preslotted nut that fit the neck perfectly. It fit so good I probably did not have to glue it.

13. I LOVE it!

If you ever get tired of the balance thing, do a search for ASAT basses, there's plenty of talk there about extenders for the strap button that bassically replaces the neck bolt plate. (An ingenious idea, actually)

I love the idea of using the classic p-bass single coil and a jazz pup. And the wood is KILLER!

Great job.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats ! you got a very unique instrument that you can call your own. Enjoy :bassist:

15. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm inspired by your success; I've been wanting to build a bass and I'm competent with tools, but a little timidated since it's a first-time endeavor. Please pass along more details about your experience. Thx, Tony Noriega, Tampa

16. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Incorrect on the Warmoth nut. They have recently added the option of a pre-slotted Corian nut, and at $15 it's a relative deal.

On the subject of pre-drilled neck holes ... why would you want to chance on ordering pre-drilled holes that may not match the body you're installing it on? If it's a Warmoth neck + body everything should be OK ... but if you're adding a Warmoth neck to a XXX body you run the risk of problems with a pre-drilled neck. I totally prefer an undrilled neck for exactly this reason.

R

17. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    That is an awesome bass. I am a sucker for a tele-shaped body.

The tele shape for bass doesn't always lead to neck-dive, but it can make the neck seem like it is 2-3 inches longer that it is. Trust me, I know.

Once again, awesome bass.

18. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    How do you like the combination with the SCPB and J pup? Not a big fan of the Telecaster body but i like the neck ;) I have a Warmoth '51 P myself and love the quality of the stuff.

19. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida

Just read, read, read. All the info I used build this bass was found here. Search out the brands and materials that seem to fit what you are trying to achive, try out what you can in the real world, ask questions and make your decision. Warmoth isn't the only company out there but they were a pleasure to deal with. Other companys may be just as good. In the end it is your bass. You may like it or not, but you can change it or make another.

Im not a expert at building basses nor am I a very good player. I do it because I enjoy it. Its fun and relaxing. This was my first try and I suprised myself with how good it came out.

20. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    I like it more then my pj yamaha. Much smother sound. With the j up full and the p about 1/4 it sounds alot like a j bass.

I played a reissue with a scpb and mine has more bottom end but sounds much smoother, but that could be the wood.

I was just going to do the scpb but decided that adding the j was a small expense compared to the entire bass and opened up more possibilities.