Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first Warwick experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sanctum, Sep 9, 2003.

1. So I don't go to Guitar Center too often, and while there and extremely bored while a guitar player friend got his rocks off, I played a 5-string Warwick in the "good bass gear" room.

Bass was pretty kicking! I really enjoyed the tone - it really is the sound of the wood - nice and throaty. I liked the EQ in the bass too (dont know exactly what they put in these stock.)

Anyhow, if I didn't love Spectors so much I might consider getting one ... maybe I will anyhow one day.

FWIW, I ran it through a Mesa MPulse 600 and a Mesa 4x10 that were in there hooked up.

2. which model did you play? My faves are the Streamer bolt-ons (the high end ones, LX and Pro-M). I dont like the Streamer Standard.

I had a couple of Corvettes but didn't like them too much - really heavy.

My first one was a Fortress One 5 - pretty nice bass.

BTW I have 3 Streamers - 2 LXs and a Pro-M fretless (all 5 strings).

3. It was a Thumb bolt-on ... I know it wasn't a Buzzard or a Vampyre :D

4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I enjoy playing the Warwick's at Guitar Center... they're usually the best set up of the rest of the bass gear. The strings they use on all of the basses in there are horrid tho! It's hard to get anything other than a thud out of those crappy sounding and feeling strings they use on everything.

5. I think thats just cause the strings are old, all warwicks come with warick black label strings and while the may not be the best strings out there there are quite good IMO.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, I had some prejudices about "mainstream" models (Corvette, Streamer, Thumb), and a few weeks ago I saw a band live. The bass player had a 5-string Corvette Standard, plugged into an Ashdown MAG 250 w/210 cab. And his tone was deep, plain, warm... Amazing.

7. Rock on Warwick...Just got another piece of my warwick arsenal a warwick rockstand...yeah baby!...next a streamer Std./rockbass/Thumb BO