1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first Zeppelin song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FerK, Nov 2, 2013.

1. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    I've been playing bass for 2 years (after playing piano/keys for 25+). From the moment I touched my first bass, it was love at first sight, and have bought, traded and sold 7 basses. I'm now down to a good 2 axes (an Ibby SR1200, and a MM Stingray).

I always tried to mix many different styles, and have learnt songs from punk and classic rock, to funk and jazz. Have managed to learn stuff ranging from Jaco's Portrait of Tracy (I still practice it frequently, 'cause I don't think I'll ever play it anywhere close to perfect), to Iron Maiden's Phantom of the Opera. Although I play a bloody good cover of Duran Duran's "Rio".

Today I planted a new tree: my first Led Zep song. It was Ramble On. I've always been a bit hesitant to tackle Jonesy. Thought it would be nearly impossible at my playing level to manage to play his songs, but as always, it's all down to feeling and practice. I think I'll learn a few more.

Any ideas for not extremely difficult, fun-to-play Led Zep songs ?

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    The Ocean
    Black Dog
    Good Times Bad Times
    Dazed and Confused

3. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    How Many More Times

Lately, it's been the first thing I play each day....And throughout the day.

4. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Livin lovin maid(shes just a woman)...the 4 breaks after the choruses have a "half time" feel to them and the keys shift from D-A-D-E are(as most jpj breaks are) all different and funky in their own right. See if you can hit all the accented notes,some off beat,with the accompanying bonhan signature supportive kick drum. Fun song that is more complex than one first may think.
    The Lemon Song....jpj's swan song. Zeps cover spin from the blues great Howlin Wolf...this song has it all, time sig changes, subtle rhythm variations from one chorus to the next, and a nasty-funky blues solo break with some borrowed motown triplets played with 16ths after. See if u can play all the ghost (left hand muted) notes that really give it a funky feel(ala rocco prestia). Its a long song and will definitely take some time to accurately reproduce because virtually nothing repeats(same key changes but different note and rhythmic variations)....this will keep u busy for awhile...cheers

5. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Thank you. I'll start on them ASAP. I gave them all a quick first try, and seem "easy enough". Dazed and confused...I thought that'd be too easy to even bother. Until I hit the 60 bars of A-B-D-E-G-A-G-E / A-B-D-E-G-A-G in quarter notes, and I cramped...three times in a row. It'll take a while. :)

6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Lemon Song goes without saying...but it's perhaps his most difficult piece. Not difficult in a Myung kind of way, but equally challenging. I'll leave that for a few years in the future.

7. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Communication Breakdown
    Rock and Roll

8. We used to jam on The Rover when I was a teenager, not too difficult and has some nice changes.

Yep ~ keep at it, great left hand workout!

9. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    " Out on the Tiles " Zeppelin III

10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Dazed and Confused is not in the Led Zeppelin top 10 "hard bass lines to play", but I dig the progression and it's fun to solo over. YMMV.

11. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    It's a very nice progression, that is not difficult to play, at least not at that speed. But the 60 bars are tough on the muscles. At least to me, having played for only 2 years (and in spite of a very minimum of 1 to 2 hr of practice every single day). But then, I went through the same issue when I learnt "Billie Jean", and I laugh at it now.

12. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Immigrant Song - fantastic bass runs.

13. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011

Great song. One of their underrated songs for sure.

14. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Yeah...that 16th note run from A to B to C is cool. Those old recordings were kinda muffled bass heavy sounded but it sounds to me just to be the major scale ascending in all the runs except for the minor 7th thrown in on the last passage to cover the extra 16th u don't need to get back to the root...is that how u play it??

15. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    Immigrant Song is a fairly easy one too , crowd pleaser and fun to play

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

One of the first songs I learned was Tangerine... I still remember being home by myself back in high school one night so I could play it on my parent "big" stereo and turn my amp up loud. Also Gallow's Pole came up early in my career. Now I have never been able to play these songs with others, but they are fun to jam along to the record.

17. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Personally, I think "What Is And What Should Never Be" is probably his most difficult.

18. Wow Jammin.
    thanks for that... I've been playing for a long time and I've never played with that one.
    I LOVE this!
    Can't wait to jam that one with my buds.:bassist:
    TX!

Don

19. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Slim, after careful consideration (and a quick review of the 2 transcriptions I linked below), I'd say "The lemon song" is more difficult by a factor of 10. I've been working on "What is and what should never be" since yesterday, and I personally don't find it very challenging (at least, the attached transcription is quite straight forward):

What is and what should never be - transcription
    The lemon song- transcription

20. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    I know them both and there not even in the same area code. Maybe the opening riff but if thats all your ears are hearing then u better give it another listen. ..or a hundred. .