Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My five... :D

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fasoldt Basses, May 3, 2005.

1. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Well my five string is finally done.
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

specs:
    5 piece maple/walnut neck
    walnut body wings
    Ebony fretboard, 35" scale
    Gotoh tuners, Hipshot B-style bridge
    EMG HZ passive pickups
    Bartolini 3-band Preamp

Pics:
    http://www.ktbasses.com/helga_photo_gallery.htm

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Absolutely love it! How's it sound?

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    beautiful work! How'd you get the thin accents in the pickup cavities?

4. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Heh. Heh. I have yet to play a better sounding bass. :D (seriously... I will try to get some sound clips up soon)

The stripes around the PU cavities was made with maple binding; I couldn't get it to bend around the corners so each side is an individual piece.

5. Wow! Very nice! Keep up the good work.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    sweet. Those accents around the pickups are really nice. It's all about the little things.

7. Beautiful work. It might be kind of tough to sell basses using your name, however. ;)

8. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    yeah... if you look at my previous instrument pics, you'll see that I put the name THOR on my last bass.
    hmmmmm..... maybe I should have thought about the fact that that name was already taken :rolleyes:
    Right now I think it would be a little overkill to make a "company name" since I'll be heading off to college in the fall and probably won't have time to build for a couple years. :(
    thanks for all the compliments, though.

9. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    AH! OK I just got what you meant. about my name.
    yeah, a freind of mine told me it was like I was just born to build basses, 'cause of my name. :smug:

10. That was a great idea to drill the wiring hole before you did the glue-up. My brother-in-law is building his first instrument and it is going well. He went to drill the hole from the control cavity to the front pickup cavity and ended up drilling right through the curly redwood face of the guitar!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :crying: :crying: :crying:

I guess that is what comes with doing a first instrument.

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey Karl,

That's a fantastic bass...it's inspiring to see someone producing that kind of quality! I'm trying to get started on my first build, but am still waiting for everything to arrive (this is really a test of patience). So, congratulations on your 3rd build!

paul

12. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    thanks for all the compliments :cool: , doesn't anyone have anything bad to say about it?

13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Well, I'll tell you it sucks if you want me to. ;)

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The only minor detail I didnt like was the rather large looking gaps under the knobs. It looks like you rounded over the holes, which seems to make the gap appear bigger. This is a very minor point though if you just want to nitpick. All in all, fantastic job :)

15. I thought it looked more like a countersink job, and thus, very classy!

16. Man, I've seen basses made by so-called "pro" luthiers that didn't look half as good as that! You should seriously consider getting at it full time!
    :bassist:

17. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    No Kidding! Nothing bad to say here....(I'm not a fan of 24K gold ink pens?????) ......ANyway, considering the fact that you aren't even in college and so young is amazing, keep it up and perhaps you could make a living at it someday!
    you make us old tards look bad, though. :spit:

18. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Whoa, whoa...hold up a sec! You're all of 28 years old (happy birthday, by the way), and you consider yourself an "old tard?" Crap, at 30 I must be just about dust by now :eek:

19. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    thanks so much guys! :hyper:
    I admit that I too don't like the spaces under the knobs...
    I am planning to adjust this little problem. The volume control is the hardest, because it's a push/pull switch. I can't back the pot down into the cavity because the body isn't thick enough. I already drilled out the knob as far as possible, and it is still quite high.
    I think I will probably end up turning some of my own knobs for it, since the countersunk holes are just a little bit too big (diameter) even when the knob is down in all the way, as seen on the blend knob.

Also, it wasn't a gold paint pen... I used a gold paint used by calligraphers. I signed my name with a pencil and then used a very fine brush to go over the pencil lines with the paint. It is a really interesting paint, apparently just tiny flakes of gold held together by a little glue.

Thanks again for all the compliments guys!
    I would absolutely love to do this full time... wouldn't we all?

20. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    at least admit the finish is a little below par :rolleyes: