1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My fix for neck dive for (m)any bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonemachine, Apr 22, 2015.

1. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Addendum 4/23/2015 6:30 Central: In light of complaints about my hurried writing and messy pic (my phone was almost discharged so the camera would only work when plugged in; consequently, the pic is essentially upside down from how I would have rather taken it and; hence, became very confusing for people). Skip down to the plus signs for another simple attempt at description.

To be sure, my post wasn't so much to instruct clearly "how to" since I am not a technician of any sort. My apologies to those who needed more info and who aren't past purveyors of malfeasance and/or piling on. My post was simply to share the realization that one can solidly lash one's bass to one's belt area and keep that sucker very stable if desired or necessary. That's it, anything else was just my attempt to say something more than "attach the bass to somewhere near your hip."

Many elite bassists extol the virtues of a stable bass, one that is always in the same position: I have heard Billy Sheehan say it (but given my body, this isn't easy to achieve, yet given my left hand problems it is especially desirable to have a very stable bass), Bunny Brunnel goes as far as to install a strap button on the front of his basses (no way I can come to terms with defacing my basses like that!) and Bunny runs his strap over the face of his bass to hold it snug. A personal friend who is a world-class bassist and many others suggest "bass in the same place always," too. Some people don't experience neck dive, or they aren't bothered by it- cool, they are hereby granted permission to not bother with us poor, clueless suckers.

++++++++
    You essentially attach the bass to your belt by any means necessary. In any order,
    1) attach a loop of rope to carabiner. 2)Attach carabiner to belt or any suitable belt loop of pants.
    3) Yoke the strap button at the bottom of the bass with the rope loop you made and then attach your guitar strap and the latter will hold the former there.
    ++++++++++++++

You can use whatever carabiner works for you. Or, you can use just a carabiner and no rope loop (but this might mar your bass). Still more, you can skip the carabiner and can instead fashion a contraption solely out of a rope loop threaded around your belt (or whatever) and onto your bass.

End Addendum

After many years of frustration with some "handicaps," this was created out of absolute necessity for me... but its not overly-tacky for rhe general population and i think that some will find it to be actually pretty dang handy. I suppose if you wear basses low then it might not work without moving the bottom strap bolt higher (toward your head as you are wearing the bass).

From the post where I was inspired (just making a new thead of this to help people find it more easily):

Here's mine: it fixes neck dive and, probably only particularly to me (or anybody skinny or with a lump of scar tissue on torso which creates a pivot point where the bass just wobbles all over). Just invented yesterday after playing for 24 years (minus a 13 break).

Changing left hand positions or resting my right hand differently on the body always resulted in subtle and not so subtle wobble on the pivot point on my torso. It was like playing bass where notes are a moving target. It wasn't that bad for easier lines but it was a severe handicap for speed or basic precision on big shifts. I started playing mainly on a small bodied Kubicki which somehow took the lump out of play and my Spector's arched back definitely took it out of play so it's only in more recent years that it's been a real bother. But I digress.

You can make different sized loops to adjust bass position many ways. I just slip the loop over the strap lock base then click the strap onto the bass/base to hold it in place. My first (and the fastest, simplest method) attempt at this was to click my bigger key chain carabiner shown direct to my bass and pants' belt loop. I don't want to risk marring that particular bass, though so I adopted the rope. The carabiner-direct method also puts the bass at a pretty serious angle up and down and across body- I rather like that so I tried to duplicate that with the very small beaner and tiny rope loop.. but I'm just happy to have a bass that doesn't move all over so many positions will work...we can get used to most things).

You can secure to belt holes or pants' belt loop (I'd recommend reinforcing the pants loop, though).

I'm still experimenting (like possibly using[​IMG]the S-beaner which might be easier to use, having two openings) and I have several basses to fit correctly.

The biggest drawback is that I can no longer play around the house in sweat pants (even for dress up gigs i think this will work with a modified belt or reinforced belt loops. I'm hoping that another idea dawns on me for sweatpants house play, though!

Home Depot for the carabiners and REI for the very solid rope.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    I've been doing this for a while with just the clip. Hook it on the strap somewhere and then hook a belt loop.

Fast on & off, it works and it's cheap.

3. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I noticed that you mentioned beaner three times in this thread,I'm quite offended...:smug::D

spanndrew, Aqualung60 and JakeyBran like this.
  4. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    Just read your write up and it looks really cool but is there any way possible you could post of picture of the set up all attached and on you?

My pea sized brain can only grasp things when I see pictures of them working or completed.

I'm what you might call "special" like that....:laugh::laugh:

bassomane, BrBss and scourgeofgod like this.
  5. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This might also work for heavy basses -- to get the weight off your shoulders and be more supported by the hips. Old-school SCA-ers with mail hauberks would do this . . .
    wear a thick leather belt and blouse the hauberk over it so the majority of the weight was on the belt.

6. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Yes, that's right, I did notice that it took weight off left shoulder. Should ad this to all if the threads about people looking for lighter basses. Def takes some weight of shoulder and back and puts it on your pants. Some guys might need a cup then...

And I found a way this evening to play in relaxing sweatpants. Sling a length of string around the strap lock and sit on the tails.

7. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    No.

8. So for the days around the house when wearing sweatpants/fleecies etc.....can we go with a belt made entirely of Velcro to start with?..(and then figure out how to attach the hardware to it)....

9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  10. Cool trick, I'd be worried my 70s P would give me a wedgie though.

kernowthumper likes this.
  11. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Whatever floats your boat. Mine isn't for the purpose of moving weight to the hip, that's just a by-product that someone suggested here. I considered the slinger strap but it doesn't fit my particular physical need (I wear my bass higher than in my avatar plus I want almost no slack and that long lanyardstrap, even in its shortest position won't do it). Another by-product is that it's not really visible.

12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Are you from Boston?

13. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    No I'm from and live in Arizona,I have a brother in law from and lives in Boston tho...

14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Oh, well then you should be horribly insulted. All those bean eating people from Boston are very, very sensitive. I was born there and work with a guy who grew up there. Any bean eating references offend us greatly. I haven't spent time in Boston since I was six months old, and I'm still very offended by bean references. Since you have a brother in law from there, you can be offended by extension and by reference. I hope this makes things perfectly clear. Now, I'm stomping off in a righteous huff!

Unless you are making a reference to a relief pitcher who has an attitude like Sid Vicious. Then beaner has a whole 'nother connotation and you best be wearing a good helmet. I can suspend the righteous indignation and wrath for that.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Always thought this idea was great.
    Heads Up Strap
    2hmkg2p.

16. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    How bout just getting a bass that doesn't have neck dive...:)

IanA likes this.
  17. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Maybe you should read my whole original post.:) And why skip many of the awesome basses that do have neck dive. And...pretty much any bass will neck dive if worn in certain high positions. But you're awesome, dude. Insert another smiley here to erase all snarkiness, right?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Kukulkan61 likes this.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is a local kids barbershop named "Beaners." When they opened it I had a good laugh. We do not have a high Hispanic population so most people do not realize that is a slur.

On the note of the strap, can we get an action shot? I think I am visualizing this right but I am not very smrt.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Here's some more Snarkiness :):):) 0423151102.

KickingBass likes this.
  20. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I grew up and spent the first 40 years of my life in the Bronx, and never heard the word "beaner" once. It was when my younger brother came back from California with a girlfriend that I first heard it. She said, "Do you have beaners here?" And I said,"Maybe, what do you put in them?" Being the jolly fat guy that I am I assumed it was something you ate LOL. She game me a dirty look like I was making fun of her, and left me alone from then on. In retrospect I couldn't have gotten luckier, because as you might guess she was painfully vapid (among her other questionable attributes).

DiabolusInMusic likes this.