1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My flatwound action is way too high

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rainbownorth, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Sorry if this has been posted before, I had a good search through and nothing jumped and bit me on the nose.

So yeah, the title explains itself. Heres the details:

Ive got D'addario EXL160 flatwounds on a Cort Action series bass. The strings, when the stocks are flat against the bass as low as they can go are still high, probably 5-6mm above the fret board.

Have i simply put the strings on wrong? Or is am I using the wrong strings for low action? Any thoughts on this problem would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    When you say stocks, are you refering to the bridge saddles?? If so, it sounds like the new strings have more tension than the old ones, and they've caused the neck to bow a bit. Questions: how was the action with the old strings?? Were you able to get it nice and low?? In theory, you should not have to move your saddles up or down with a different set of strings. That is, unless you're switching to or from exposed core strings, as they have more thickness just after the bridge. Sounds to me like you should check the relief, get that taken care of, then reset your saddles where the need to be, and you'll be fine.

Lee

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, it sounds like those flats have higher tension than the other strings you had on it.

I had the same situation when I replaced the strings on my P-Bass with Fender Flats. Those things were crazy tight! I had to adjust the truss, the bridge saddles, and the intonation to make those strings work for me.

This might be what you're experiencing. Do they feel tight?

Joe

4. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
  5. Yeah that might be it. They feel very tight, but then theyre the first flats Ive had, so I wasnt sure how tight they were meant to be. The old strings were capable of going really low, and they were never that tense.Thanks for the help guys, ill check out that link and see what happens. If I cant figure it out, ill come back and complain some more! Thanks again.

6. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
  7. Oh right....yeah im not sure of the actual number, its been a while. Actually, thinking back on it, I'm not even sure if theyve always been as high as they are now. So maybe theyve gotten tighter over time? Does this make sense with the relief theory?