1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Flipster build, whatcha think...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by karposvt, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I know it's based on a Flip top, but since my VT bass has the looks of a flip top and I use it for a SVT tone, I figured I'd go with an SVT look on this one. I think it came out great! Sounds good, not anywhere near as warm as the VT, but still has a good tone. TONS of distortion! I need to tinker with it some more to get more headroom out of it. It starts breaking up at 9 o'clock on the gain knob.

Tell me what you think...

FlipsterBuild.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if you do some searching here... Mark from OLC posted on here what he did to lower the gain on mine. It was originally designed as a Distortion box by Run Off Groove... not realizing most of us bassist are looking or a tone box.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nice! The graphics are really well done.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Beautiful work

5. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    i's thinks that looks bitch'n!

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    What schematic did you use? Link?

7. Thanks guys,

I couldn't be happier with the way it looks!

Mark emailed me a pdf file build sheet when he sent out my kit. Pm me and give me your email and I'll send it to you.

8. What jfets did you use?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yeah, it does look great.

Mark built mine... I mailed it back and he tweaked it. He posted in a thread about some change he did to it. Mine doesn't break up until about noon

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, how did you do that??? That is absolutely beautiful. I have zero use for a Flipster since I use old Ampegs, but I would probably have to buy one just for the looks if you could buy them. That's the nicest looking pedal I ever saw.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would recommend 2N5458 or 2N5459. I usually use 2N5458s because I bought a ton of them once and have never gotten around to ordering 2N5459s.

I would not recommend J201s for bass. They tend to break up a bit too quick on bass for my tastes. However, you might want that!

12. Wow! Thanks guys!

Ok, lets see, first I did use the J201's. I didn't really like it at first, and was thinking of going to the MPF102's also supplied with the kit, but I just got done tweeking it, and it sounds f'n awesome! I went with the "by ear" method to adjust the trims. It doesn't start breaking up til after noon now on the gain. I can go from a very useable clean, to a cool Duck Dunn midrangy overdriven tone , to full out OD fuzz. But the best is throwing it on with the VT bass, talk about huge, fat, overdriven tone!!!

Jimmy, thanks, that means alot coming from an Ampeg guru like yourself!

I took a pic of a SVT-VR and photoshopped it to my liking. Then had a printing place print me some up on label sticker paper. Primed, then painted the box with some grey "hammered effect" paint from Menards. Then I went over that with some gloss black, then clear. Gives it a cool tolex look. Cut the pic on the label paper down to size, the cleared it several times very lightly so the color wouldn't run. Put it on top of the box, then cleared the crap out of it. Allowed to dry for a few days and bingo, then I even added the correct SVT knobs I got off the web. Not to brag but, it's the coolest looking pedal I've ever seen too! Even if I end up not using this, its staying on my board for looks alone.

13. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    sick!!!!!!

14. Here's a little better pic

FlipsterBuild2.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    killer job on that! I dig it

16. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    Very cool looking pedal!

17. Thanks James! What does yours look like, the one on OLC's website?

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    soooo ummmm i know nothing about these flipsters. are they pretty much high quality vt bass' emulating vintage svt's?

19. No, it a tonestack based off an Ampeg SB12 ( a B-15 with a 12" speaker). But like I said since I use my VT bass to cop a SVT tone and it's graphics are more "Flip Top" looking, I went with a vintage SVT look for it.

It does a great job of sounding like a vintage B-15, doesn't quite have the warmth or tubeiness of the VT, but its close. Having them both on at the same time sounds just flat out amazing!!! I have a clean tone set on the VT, and a slight overdriven tone set on the Flipster.

20. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    excuse my ignorance but are these flipsters kits or what?