Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My forearms burn. Is this bad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Ok well I do wrist stretches and my wrists don't hurt any more. But lately I've been practicing more(at least 9 hours a week) and my forearms burn about 30 minutes or an hour after I get done playing. They don't have sharp pains and I don't have any loss of movement in them...they just burn. Is it because I'm giving them a good workout(akin to forearm exercises with weights) or doing a movement wrong?

2. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I had that for awhile, but it went away. I believe that its just the muscles in your forearms getting stronger. Before I started playing bass my wrists weren.t very strong and then they burned. Afterwards they were strong. By the way, I'm tired. See ya!

3. Its Cancer... :p

:D:D

Merls

oh come on.. some one had to say it....

4. Actually, to tell you the truth, I thought this was a forum TOTALLY NOT ABOUT BASS PLAYING...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It is most likely just from overexerting yourself with the practicing, and should go away. It can be local to your hands and forearms but the cause can also be your neck/shoulder area (it is in my case). Find some stretching exercises for those areas as well, only be careful to do any neck stretching very slowly and stop if there is any pain. Take short breaks in your practice sessions and move/stretch a bit too.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No, that is actually good. that shows you are getting a workout. Look at it like this, when a weight lifter lifts and it dont burn then he is not making progress. What you are experiencing is just the musles tightening up and will go away with time and steady practice.

7. What was that BS you were talking about yesterday? Not having a sex drive anymore?

:rolleyes:

:D

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Feel the burn! work it!

the other day I decided to go against what victor wooten says about using the economy of motion and using more hits on fewer strokes....and I started fervidly double thumping as fast as I could muster....my right hand went beserk and my left could barely keep up....my forearm tingled for about 5 mintues after...then it stopped.

it the same feeling as when you ride a bike with all the gears up, uphill.