1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My former wife once told me ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by los100malditos, Nov 4, 2013.

1. -Excuse my english ... it is not my first language!-

My former wife once told me ... if you go to play bass tonight ... i'll leave you ... well ... she left ... now she┬┤s my former wife! (this really happened) jejeje LoL jejeje...

Of course neither the music nor the bass was the cause of the end of the marriage ... she was an economic disaster and also always was putting me to test, and kinda develop a way to make me miserable almost all the time, ... bad choice o mine i guess ... the highlight of the relation ... MY 3 year old SON ... he is the light of my life ... i thank God everyday for him, he make all the bad times just go away!

Well i think now i'm a proud father & divorced bass player (lawyer too), and my band is actually doing very very VERY well, so ... you gotta do what you gotta do!

2. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Well if yer gonna be divorced it is always a plus to be a lawyer too......

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Kinda makes one question the prudence of entering into a contract that fails more than half the time.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Sometimes it takes more than one try though..?

I think that most failed marriages are a shared blame thing. Not all of course but most.
    I've been divorced then remarried. I'd love to blame my ex 100% for the marriage failing but I had done some stupid things that contributed as well..
    Second marriage is great. Sometimes you need a "test" wife or husband :)

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It was either in a sci fi movie or book, I can't remember, but couples entered into marriage contracts for a set number of years. So lets say after a 5 year marriage, the couple can either renew the contract or end the marriage amicably and move on. Seems like a better system.

6. Completely off topic, what is your first language?

Your screen name suggests Spanish but your signature is German.

Just curious, I love languages, I just wish I was better at learning them. :D

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That statistic is a little misleading. My understanding is that the divorce rate is higher amoung those who have been married before and divorced than those who have not been divorced before. This increases the number of marriages that end in divorce. Another way of looking at it is that those who have not been married before have a better than 50% chance of not getting divorced. Those who have been divorced before...not so much! :)

8. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    It was an Arthur C. Clarke book. Not sure of the book though. Might have been Childhood's end or Against the Fall of Night.

I have the same thought from time to time about that being a better system. Of course you run into problems of joint ownership, but it would be interesting anyway.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It cracks me up that when people can't make something work, they blame the process or item. Like the guy in the other thread blaming cell phones because some of his friends don't use them tactfully in his opinion.

-Mike

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    First wife was a knockout but also a major mental case who couldn't exist without some sort of drama swirling around her at all times. When someone would call, she didn't say hello when the caller identified themselves, she asked what's wrong.

On top of all that she was as bad an alcoholic I was. I got tired of drinking but she never did so we wound up split. thankfully there were no kids made to suffer the 9 years we spent in our little mutual antagonistic society of 2.

We split in early 84. Later that year while working through my recovery I tried to contact her to make amends and she told me (through a mutual friend) that she never wanted to see or hear from me as long as she lived. I didn't try to keep track of her, but I heard through the same mutual friend a few years ago she was a miserable, bloated old drunk who was all alone because she pretty much alienated everyone she's ever known. Makes me sad to hear it, but it is what it is.

11. I think too many people dive into marriage. I know a fair few folk who were married within a year of meeting someone. IME, a year isn't all that long. No need to rush!

12. MetalSearGolid

MetalSearGolid Cyperpunk Cowboy

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    My girlfriend and I talk about marriage, but neither of us wants to be married for at least a few more years and we don't want kids until our early thirties. By contrast, most of my friends are rushing into marriage, having kids, etc. and it's like ***! You're in your early-mid twenties, enjoy life a little haha!

also *** you can't say w-t-f

13. Spanish speaker ... i just like the "have a nice day" in German

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You speak English better than a lot of Americans I know.

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yo siento lo mismo. A veces, siento mal porque nada que hago esta bastante. En el cerca futuro, nessitano voy a hacer un decision muy dificil. Tengo una hija que tiene cuatro anos, y preocupo mucho de ella.

16. MetalSearGolid

MetalSearGolid Cyperpunk Cowboy

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    i talk english real good

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm not really an expert on divorce rates, marriage markets, etc., but this would most likely be an issue with data that is cross-sectional rather than longitudinal, since the former is going to be a snapshot of people at a certain time who may or may not eventually become divorced. It's possible that time has an independent variable relationship with divorce (of course, this could have issues with autoregression too). If previous divorce has a predictive relationship with further divorce rate, that can be controlled within a model.

I'm sure somebody's modeled this along the way, though. :meh:

18. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

If that ain't a song, nuthin' is. :D

19. :bassist:

20. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    sounds like a joke I heard recently;

Wife; Is that ANOTHER new bass?
    Husb: You sound just like my ex wife.
    Wife: What? I didn't know you were married before!
    Husb: I wasn't.