Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my frankenstien creations...tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SMG, Nov 3, 2003.

1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    OK....I don't claim to be a luthier, but I have fun by "building" stuff out of junk. The first one came to me as a Les Paul copy guitar body, an electric Ovation neck with the frets pulled out.....

Here is a full view shot...

2. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Hey thats pretty good.

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    A close up of the body of the LP bass. It has two Schaller BassBuckers and a Schaller J. Each pickup has a series/parallel push/pull switch on its volume control...

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    This one came to me as a US Stienberger body, sawed in half (Bardsong), a Fender Korean HM5 string neck with a stripped truss rod...

The body was put back together, routes filled in and rerouted for J pickups, the neck pocket opened a bit to fit the 5 string neck, a flame veneer top put on and EMG pickups...

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    close up of the body of the second project...

6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    headstock of project two...

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    This was a guitar body that I picked up a show for $10...a neck that I got on ebay for $10...a couple of Dano Lipstick pickups...

8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    a close up of the body of project three...

9. oooh....
    i'm going to the flea market.
    #1 and #3 rawk.

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    This is a 60's Violin bass that I picked up at a show for $50 because someone had stepped on the neck and broken it in half...I fixed that, reshaphed the headstock, replaced the tuners, and replaced the pickups (one of the originals didn't work at all) with a set of J's from Fatdawg...

11. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Here is a close up of the body of the fourth project...

OK, I probably wasted a lot of your time with my silly ideas...please forgive me. All of these play and sound pretty good. Would be curious as to what people think.

12. Really nice basses man. I wish I had that kind of talent. I have always wanted to be that kind of fixer upper. The les paul bass is tight and the hollow body is cool too. I would consider buying either one if I had the money.

Thanks for showing them to us.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I love 'em all!! This is very similar to what I am finding myself doing... I have lots of project basses and little money, so I've committed myself to completing one a month for the next four months... My current one is similar to your #4 in that it's a cheesy violin copy that is getting a rework on the neck... Pics coming in a separate thread later this week...

-robert

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i love the les paul bass. I think I might start doing some of this stuff. Your stuff looks awesome.

15. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    would you be willing to sell any of those if so how much?

16. I really dig the Les Paul bass style also!

And this one, is sweet.

What does it sound like with the jazz pups?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Very cool basses! I especially dig #1 & #3!

18. that violin bass looks great, $50 was a good steal.

19. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    wow...thanks for the compliments...

a few comments on what people have said...

"that violin bass looks great, $50 was a good steal"
    ...True, but notice that I stated that the neck was split in two when I got it.

"What does it sound like with the jazz pups?"
    ...About what you would imagine a hollow jazz would sound like, a bit warmer then a solid jazz. Also, a lot thinner (single coils) then a Hofner, or contemporary Hofner copy.

"would you be willing to sell any of those if so how much?"
    ...I never gave much thought to it as I really didn't think people would find them anything more then amuzing. Actually, all but the violin have flaws that bother me enought that I wouldn't want them out there with "my history" on them. I have a few other things in the works, we will see how they go. Biggest problem right now is time...my real job is taking so much time from my life that I haven't had much chance to work on my "projects." That said, I am always keeping my eye out for more wierd stuff to work with.

20. That hollowbody "thing" is about the coolest bass I've seen!