Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Fretless Creation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Saint, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Here's my new fretless. It was created from a variety of sources as a result of trying to keep the budget down:

Body: Walnut - Warmoth Dinky P (Thrift Store)
    Neck: Maple - Warmoth Jazz Fretless lined (eBay)
    Tuners: Schaller
    Nut: Graph-Tech graphite
    Pickups: Bartolini 9J (neck)
    Bartolini 9W (bridge)
    Preamp: Carvin Active-Passive 3-band (eBay)
    Bridge: Gotoh 206 allows string-thru body
    Finish: Tung Oil + Formsby's low gloss tung
    oil/varnish finish.

What do you think?

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Lets try this again

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    another one

4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    the back

5. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    If that plays and sounds as well as it looks....wow.

6. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    still more

7. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Last one - at least until I get a better camera.

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks Dave. It plays really well. Very nice "mwahh" with the bridge pick-up soloed and the mid control turned up. Also gets a nice full tone with both pickups on. I also sanded the edges of the "fretboard" to round them off so that it is more comfortable to play (a trick I copped from the folks at Reverend).

9. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Actually, It's Drew. :D

Im glad you are happy with it. Im really gassing for a good playing fretless.

10. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    yikes. My bad. Sorry about that, Drew.

As for a good playing fretless, maybe you should consider building one, too. What are you playing now?

11. Nice bass Saint!
    Tell me how that maple fretboard works in fretless? Usually seen ebony and rosewood in fretless basses...

12. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    To me it's not as warm as rosewood (a good thing in my book for a fretless) but not quite as bright as ebony. I may coat the fretboard with urethane at some point because I really like the more resonant tone of a coated fretboard. But overall, I would say I would say it's somewhat similar to ebony in tone, which is a good thing in my book.

13. That looks very nice. Good luck with it. You guys that build your own basses are inspiring me. It's nice to play something that you put together yourself, I'd imagine.

Mike

14. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    There definitely is, in part because of the ability to customize, but also because you start with all these unfinished parts gathered from every where, and then you have something that actually makes music.

Thanks for the kind words.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice. Congrats. How much did it cost after all was said & done?

16. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks. I think it cost me about $500.00 when all was said and done. I got the neck for around $100 and the body for around $165. The pickups were $50.00 for the pair and the pre-amp was another $50. The tuners and bridge were another $100 or so and then the knobs, nut, jack, ferrules and strap holders were probably another $50-60 combined.