Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Well this week i desided to try a new type of strings.Before this week i used D'addario Nickel Wound, but now I am using D'addario ProSteels. At first i didnt like the feel of the but the sound was amazing, now i dont even notice the feel of them.The string have been on for about a week andi was looking at my fingerboard and i say there was a deep scratch on a couple of frets.I cleaned my fingerboard and frets before putting the stings on and they were not there.I know that stainless steel wears out frets quicker then nickel but should be that bad in only a week?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think i know what you're talking about, and if it is, then dontworry, they are just rounding out the top of the fret a little, maybe taking off some of the crown, because sometimes frets are shaped pointily and stainless steel strings dont like tha ttoo much.

Could be something else though.
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It could possibly be wearing the laquer coating a little. I've used only steel strings for years and my frets are fine. The ones that I use most are a little shiny, the ones I rarely use (14+ on B string for example) are a little brown.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Those scratches won't cause any problems. Now when the scratches actually become divots, that's the time to think about getting your frets dressed.
  5. Bass Invader

Bass Invader

Mar 10, 2003
    Osaka Japan
    In my experience, fret-wear on my basses has usually been a combination of how hard I finger the board with my left hand, and the winding thickness of the strings I'm using.

I've noticed that I finger pretty hard down around the 3rd and 4th frets, but then lighten up as I get higher. Looking at my frets, most of the wear is around the lower region. I've also noticed that strings like DR's, with relatively thin windings, seem to produce less apparent wear.. unlike Rotosounds which have big thick windings.

So if the wear on your frets bothers you, I'd suggest looking at your fingering pressure first.. and if that doesn't help then trying strings with thinner windings like DR's or maybe even flatwounds.

But the reality is fret-wear is an unavoidable reality of bass playing! I've been using flatwounds for several years now, and I still get fret-wear (although now it's smooth wear instead of rough gouges!)

As always, YMMV!
  6. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    stanless steel frets will never wear but will sound bright
  7. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Your frets were never alive to begin with.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA