Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My frets are buzzing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plar, Jun 21, 2005.

1. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    Yeah this is about the bass I just got. Whenever I play the first two frets on any string, it buzzes. This happens unplugged. I don't know about with an amp because I haven't gotten one yet, but I imagine it would still happen. How can I fix the buzzing?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This sounds like it might require a truss rod adjustment, which is quite an advanced setup procedure for a beginner. I would recommend taking it into the best local music shop and paying for a good setup to get you started.

3. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    Yeah that probably sounds like a good idea. So what is the truss rod exactly?

4. "When string tension is placed on an instruments neck, the neck will naturally want to bow forward with the tension, truss rods help us control and adjust neck bow.

To put it simply, when strings are plucked they vibrate in somewhat of an elliptical pattern. Because this pattern is wider near the center of the neck, relief (bow) gives the strings room to vibrate without contacting the frets and causing a buzz."

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

5. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    Is it possible that the strings are buzzing because it is so new and the strings are loose?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    mmmm no not really

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Get a right sized wrench. I think it's 5mm. Anyway it came with your guitar. If your strings buzz on the first five frets, you need to turn the truss rod nut CCW (looking from the headstock). 1/4 turn should be good. No more than 1/2 turn a day.

If your neck buzzes from the 12th fret and up then you need to turn the truss rod nut 1/4 CW (again looking from the headstock).

When I did this to my Fender, I got good results from giving it about a 1/8 turn.

If your strings buzz all over the neck then you need to raise the individual strings up via the bridge.
    HTH

8. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    about the truss rod adjustment - how much damage could it cause if I did it the wrong way?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you only turned it a little not too much, as long as u correct it before too much time elapses.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You're okay as long as you don't yank on it. A little goes a long, long way.

1/4 turn @ a time, no more than 1/2 a day. You gotta let the wood settle so to speak.

11. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    How could I do this without removing the strings every day?

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, you don't have to remove the strings. Just loosen the A and D strings. Once you get it adjusted to your satisfaction you shouldn't have to fiddle with it anymo'

13. That depends--have you actually tuned it yet? Since you don't have an amp and are pretty new at this, I hate to assume anything about what you might or might not have done with it...

Also, without an amp, the tendency is to pluck the strings a lot harder than you normally would with an amp, just to be able to hear them "unplugged". That will certainly cause them to buzz, even if the bass is set up just fine and wouldn't buzz if the bass were plugged in.

Mike

14. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    I'm with Mike on this - I advise yo do nothing until (a) you have tuned your bass and (b) played it through an amp.
    If after (a) and (b) you still get fret buzz, only go near the truss rod if you are totally confident in your ability ... if you bought it new then the shop you bought it from should check/correct the set-up for you !
    :bassist:

15. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    ok thanks that sounds like a good idea