Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Frettless Conklin

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by oneoftheway, Jan 25, 2006.

1. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Hey guys,

I have had my Gt-7 for quite some time now and recently ive had it defretted. The guy who did it didnt exactly leave it as playable as it was before, so i had to file down the nut myself and lower the action as best i could.

The main problems that are still evident:

There is absolutly no sustain once you get to 12th + areas. I know that fretless basses lose some sustain but every one ive played thus far stil has a nice smooth muah around those areas. Also the highest 7th string has absolutly no sustain and is pretty bad to use..

Not only is there no muah around these areas but it buzz's heaps and just generally sound bad...Its generally impossible to take a solo on.

I havent lowed the action too far as ive actully compromised and have not been playing above the 12th just so i can get a decent mwah out of the other frets (however it is still inconstistent there too).

Im going to have to take it to someone who builds guitars but im not sure and wanted you oppinion on what may need to be done. shims, shaving the board, coating the uncoated purple heart fret board in some kind of expoxy....im quite lost.

So if anyone has any ideas or run in to problems like this when conveting a fretted bass, id really like to hear from you.

Thanks heaps in advance!

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    It sounds like the fingerboard needs to be worked on. Re-radiused etc. The epoxy would be a personal choice. E-mail me a photo of it I would like to see it. Conklins are nice pieces. tjclem@cfl.rr.com Good luck