1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My frettless project so far (first time ever working on a bass)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kevin_BlueBASS, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hey guys,
    Well, I finally started my frettless project yesterday by de-fretting my old Kramer maple neck.
    To be honest, after all the tutorials i read, I decided to do an entirely different method I kept reading about.
    Well I guess I'll get onto a little tutorial for those wanting to try it out now:

Tools (in order of appearance):
    -masking tape
    -exacto knife
    -good butter knief
    -hammer

Instructions:
    -mask off the fretboard

-using the exacto knife, cut around the frets to expose them

-once all the frets are exposed, take a break and get something to drink. the next part will take a while

-Ok, now were at the part where we start to remove the frets.
    I tried rippin' 'em out with pliers ala Jaco Pastorious, the hammer/ chissle method and others, but here's what I did:

-take the knife and point the end at the fret (working at the trebble side of the neck) and dig a SMALL groove into the area by the tang on the side, then work your way under the fret and push down, prying up the fret a little.

-now grab your hammer and pull/ pry that fret out!

Each fret should take about 3 minutes or so.
    Keep in mind, you will make some little chips out of the board- that's why we masked it off before ;^)
    Ok, that's it so far!
    Now I'm off to fill the board and sand it, then I'm off to get some wood for my body!
    Sorry for the lack of pics- I'll get 'em up soon!
    And if this method doesn't work for you- I'm sorry! lol this was my first attempt!
    Peace,
    :bassist:

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Cool - keep us posted!

3. Thanks!
    So far, I'm wondering how I should go about filling the frets is at all-
    has anyone ever left the fret spaces? Just wondering.
    When I fill them, I'm considering using either wood putty ala Jaco or the liquid filler.
    For the liquid filler, is it really runny or viscous and thick? How well would it work?
    Thanks guys!
    Peace
    :bassist:

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i have done a pbass neck unfilled. i had to do some sanding (especially on the treble edge) to avoid catching my hands on the edge when i do a slide. from experience i prefer to fill the slots. i filled mine with putty. this did NOT leave a clean "fret line" because the FB chpped when i ripped them out. next time i would glue in wood strips of a contrasting color and then epoxy the fingerboard.