my friday night gig. [violence, guns]

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Oct 1, 2002.

1. last friday night, my band opened for a rap group from newport news. i didn't stick around for much of their set, and it was a good thing i didn't. here's a snippet from an email that our VP of student affairs sent to everyone about it:

my guitarist got punched a couple times, but he's fine. it kinda sucks that the rap crowd has to perpetuate stereotypes like this. we really like the group though, they're nice guys and insisted that we take a cut of the money even though we offered to play for free.

anyway, pics from our set are up here if you're interested. there actually were far more people there than it looks like. they were doing the stand-a-few-feet-back thing that happens at every show until you tell them to come up and dance. so it goes.
  2. It's good to know that Cornell's not the only school that has a problem with non-students coming in and making trouble at frat parties. One party at a frat annex was busted up by a bunch of locals brandishing cinderblocks :eek:
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    'Tis a bummer when things get out of hand like that. How'd your new rig treat you??? Is the keyboard player a recent addition??

btw... when I saw your new avatar, I thought for a moment that you'd taken up the saxophone :)
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    It happens here at UVa too. The townies are always out to try to mess with the college kids. Last year there were a few muggings of white college kids by black townies, but they got caught. That's probably the main reason why frats check for student ID's at the door.
  5. new rig performed excellently, it's earned its wings. yeah, the keyboard player is new this year, we needed to fill out our sound because the lead guitarist graduated. she's doing pretty well so far.
  6. A lot of houses ban alcohol on the premises. Insurance costs go way down, for one thing.
  7. The First "Blurrified" picture has a weird "artsy band pic" quality to it.

Sucks about the gig, guess it comes with the line of work, or some banter like that. Hope no one was seriously hurt.
  8. no, it was just this one event. you can imagine why we didn't want alcohol involved. :rolleyes:
  9. You guys don't have any dry frats at W&M? Hunh.
  10. yeah, we have a dry frat. i was just saying that psi u isn't a dry frat, it was just this event.
  11. UMass Amherst has some pretty crazy stuff going on all the time like the (riots in southwest). Campus police have quite a full load on there plates.

But ZooMass wouldn't be the same without the chaos :D
  12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    After looking at the pics, all I can wonder is, well, I really thought I heard the George Harrison was gone. But sure enough, there he was playing his Ric in your band:D

I miss George Harrison:(
  13. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    frat houses are illeagal in where i live.