my friend fats

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by warwickben, May 18, 2005.

1. iam trying to leran the song my friend fats from primus. i got a tab off of but it doesnt seem right.
  2. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    i think les is using a delay with distortion going on during that song. its a pretty easy song once you get the basics of it. im sure you know its tapped right?
  3. i know its tapped and i know about the effects. i just dont think the tab is right on

i cant figure out claypool by ear. i know its a easy song i just have problems figureing songs out by ear.

all i need is the tab for the tap part i can figure the rest out
  4. can any one tab the tap part out or tell me if the one on is right.
  5. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    The Hallucino-Genetics DVD is a great way to tab out Primus tunes, although with Mr.Claypool, his wild flamenco style strumming kinda throws you off. My Friend Fats is on the DVD and has some good closeups of his hands, so good luck with that. Also, if you don't have a tremelo on your bass, have fun with the beginning and verse parts of the song. :meh: I'll see if I can't tab out the tapping chorus for you.

Oog :D
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

This is how i learned it.
  7. i have the dvd but iam just having trouble. iam not that great at tapping yet. i have trem on my fender i got those parts down.
  8. can any one tab the tapping part out.
  9. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    OK OK relax. :p I've been working mucho hours lately and I'm off tomorrow, (or today, I dunno I'm working a nite shift right now) 5-26-05. I'll tab it out and get it up here later on.

Oog :bassist:
  10. iam sorry for being apain. its just iam dieing to learn this song.
  11. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hey no problem man :) I know how you feel. I was the same way when I first started learning Primus tunes. The feeling of satisfaction one can get from playing something that they they think is so hard, and then nailing it down perfect.....there's nothing else that can compare IMO.

Well, when I play hockey, absolutely crushing some unfortunate soul against the boards, picking up the puck and making a nice pass up the ice......that's a good feeling too. :smug:

Anyways, I'm almost off work I'm goin to sleep for a few hours when I get home check back later tonight.

Oog (we need a yawning smiley)
  12. iam a goalie (why do i think i spelled it wroung) any ways call me werid but i love pucks flying at me.
  13. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Alright I watched the video again and I can't tell where his fingers are tapping, he's got some kinda delay on too so it throws you off big time. I found this:

I haven't played it myself but just looking at it it doesn't seem right....I don't know man good luck.

14. i know the tab at mxtabs is closer to being right. o well
  15. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Resurrecting an old thread:

I've been wanting to learn this song too. I've seen both tabs mentioned in the thread and neither are right. I guess I'm just gonna have to ear it out the old fashioned way. If anyone has a tab for this (just the chorus would be fine) lemme know.
  16. BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Here's basicly what he plays, with variations. A lot of variations. This should give you a backbone. I also didnt do the distorted/envalope filter part.
    A--/15\8 /8 8\6--(with bass tremelo)
  17. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Ok, this has become an obsession for me now so now I'm after this freaking bass part. I think the above tab is pretty close, much closer than the others I've seen, but it still seems a little off. I'm gonna see what I can do with it. I'll post progress as I make it. FYI, I'll be writing it out in notation and tab.
  18. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    From the BullBoard, most accurate tab I've seen:

The right tab:...

and yes, he uses his whammy bar and trems on the 13 fret on the E string during the verses...

that's the way he plays it on Animals. When he plays it live, it's minor, and the 17 on the G string is changed to a 16, turning it into Claypool's most used interval, the tritone.