Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My friend is in the hospital..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris M, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Last night the guitar player from my band and myself went to rehearse with an old singer friend from a few years back. Half of her band had quit and she had some shows booked so we offered to sit in..

Last night was our second practice together. She came in and she was fine, but within minutes she was freaking out saying her chest felt tight and that she was having vision problems.

She's had heart problems since she was a kid so we were all worried for her.. Well, long story short, she could barely see clearly by the time the drummer got her to the hospital. She was rushed into surgery where the operated on her for approx 6 hours to replace a valve in her aorta that had torn.. She's currently in the ICU, heavily sedated, and with a breathing tube in her throat..

This woman and I have been friends for years, but recently due to some personal events (Both our spouses left us this past summer. We're also battling almost the same internal demons), we've grown much closer. We've gone out to dinner, watched movies, laughed until we were blue in the face, and cried on each other's shoulders..

They say she's going to pull through and I believe it, but it doesn't change the fact that I keep seeing my friend in an ICU bed with a tube coming out of her mouth.. I've been fighting back the tears all morning, just waiting for them to come out..

Thanks for listening.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Wow, no problem Chris... the ear is always here.

I hope she pulls through, sounds like you are both needing and appreciating each other right now.

Some get well soon vibes headed both your ways :bassist:

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Man, sorry to hear that, Chris. But if what the docs say is true, hopefully she'll be back up and around in no time. ;)

Keep the faith!

4. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Thanks guys..

I really appreciate the good wishes..

We bass players are good people. No matter what the world says.. :)

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank goodness you'ns were around when it happened. I hope it works out for her. I'll think good thoughts.

If you don't think this question is too personal, can I ask how old she is?

-Mike

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Best of luck to you and she. I know you'll be there to help her every step of the way, and she's very lucky for that.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Best wishes for a full and quick recovery.

8. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    MJ5150:

She just turned 30 a few months ago..

9. Chris I am sorry to hear about your friend and glad that she is still alive. I run ambulance and as you and your bandmates are aware this was an extremely serious and potentially fatal problem. You deserve a good cry. Let the tears come. Then you can start planning for the future. The interest that you and others demonstrate for her in the next few months could make all the difference in her recovery.

10. +1

11. Oh man! I'm very sorry to hear abou this, but I'm glad you were there and continue to be for her. Bravo. That's the stuff that helps people pull thru.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh man Chris. That is young! The good side is that she is young and strong enough to fight through it and recover. I'm thinking she'll come through this and be alright.

-Mike

13. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    I'm not big on hospitals, especially ICU's. You can almost feel the pain when you get near them... Either way, some mutual friends encouraged me to go visit her last night. They felt I would really do some good.

I mustered up every bit of courage I had and went to the hospital. They had removed the breathing tube and eased up on the sedation so she was groggy, but coherent. I only stayed for a couple of minutes because I didn't want to keep her from the rest she needed. I told her that we were all thinking about her and she was genuinely touched. She asked if we stuck around and played the night before, so I joked that we wrote a whole new set.. She smiled and asked if it was any good.. :)

From what I understand the surgery was inevitable and also fairly common for women with her type of heart problem. She didn't want to have it under these circumstances, but everything seems to be working out..

Again, thanks for all the kind wishes.

14. Keepin' my fingers crossed for you.

15. Good for you, Chris! You are the kind of friend she needs. Hospitals are SO unwelcoming for everybody except the staff. They seem to be so sanitized that nothing could possibly live there.... from bacteria to people. The only one I feel comfortable in is the one I work at regularly. However, you and her other friends are important for her recovery. Keep up the visits!

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank God you were with her when this happend , good job. Remember its really importent to have friends around when you are recovering at home and you cant go out.

17. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Aaron:

You couldn't be more right. It's also hard seeing the family members of some of these people sitting there looking almost hopeless. Not knowing whether their loved one will make it.. It's heart wrenching.

Major:

I know exactly what you're talking about. I plan on going back again and again. No matter how difficult it is for me.. This isn't about me right now. A friend who's helped me through some very difficult times needs me to return the favor. I can't let her down.