My friend needs some acoustic bass help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He needs a 5 string acoustic bass. He was originally going to buy that Dean on Basscentral, but it's already sold. He has narrowed his search down to the Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 string and the Ibanez AEB305LG. Has anyone had any experience with any of these? If so, which one would you choose?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Bumpizzle fo shizzle.
  3. Godin makes a cool 5 string acoustic, I think The Ombudsman has one that he can chime in about.

I played the 5er at a store here in Montreal, it sounded very woody and thick, very sweet.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Thank you captain obvious :p. But, I wasn't talking about Godins. Plus, they don't project very well. He wants a full acoustic bass.
  5. PhunkyPhish

Jul 21, 2004
    Alright, I got a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 string with Natural finish. It should be here in about a week. Wish me luck, cuz I've never played one before.
  6. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Tacoma Thunderchief 5 string.

I have the 4 string version. easily the best acoustic ive ever played. (i havent tried the 4 digit price range ones, but this one is great for me).

PM me if you wanna know more about it, my fingers are killing me right now from work (yay for manual labor jobs), so im not really up for typing : ).

EDIT: Whoops! just saw the last couple sentences. Sorry, im mega

Either way, message me if your interested in lookin at a tacoma.

The Ibanez...: \ Didnt quite do it for me. i dunno the feel just wasnt there. havent played the other.
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I own a Michael Kelly 4 string and have played the 5 string fretless. I found the 5 string fretless really tough to play while the four string much more manageable. Basically for the five string, it's five strings on a four string neck meaning really tight string spacing. If it were fretted maybe I would have a different impression but I felt the four string was much better. If you get one I would get it from a place that can fix any issues it might have like sharp frets or bad setup etc. I know some of them can come from the factory pretty funky, but they can be fixed up. I would personally recommend Bass Alone to pick up a Michael Kelly from if you want one, since I know John will be able to correct any issues for you before shipping.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    For the record, "PhunkyPhish" is the one who requires this bass. He ordered the MK 5 string.