Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My friend offered to trade basses...what do you think of this deal...? Check it out

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jun 30, 2001.

1. My friend wanted to play bass for a while so for christmas, he got a Washburn XB-100. (Its a really cool wavy red color and its got p-Bass style pickups.) He bought it new for 189.99. I think it "lists" for like 389.99

Now here's my bass. I have a peavey milestone 4 (P-bass style with a really long horn or whatever oyu choose to call it.) It's just plain blue. I bought it for i think 200 or 250 and it lists for 350-400 dollars. Now, my friend has barely used it, and he's trying to sell it, but he cant find a buyer, so he said he'd take 100.oo for it or a straight up bass trade. Which do you htink is wiser? The thing is, i like the way his looks better, and it sounds just as good if noot better then mine. The only thing i have trouble with, is that the strap peg on the "horn" (thats what i call it...) came out and stripped the wood. How could i fix that if i bought it, or how much would it cost to get fiixed??? ALso, is that gonna be a problem in the future if i get it fixed properly. Last hting, which bass is more valuable??? Any body haveh opinions between the 2????

Thanks
    Graham

2. Hey, I think the best deal would be to give him a 100 bucks for it, that way you have them both, and since it is probably worth around 280. So if you can come up with the cash, buy it, thenyou will also have a backup.

DOLF

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I agree with Gandolf Bassist, if you can come up with $100 grab the bass. If it plays and sounds well you should be able to get your money out of it, and it will give you a longer time to compare them.

The problem with the upper strap pin is nothing -- depending on how stripped it is, you can stick a toothpick in the hole and then break it off at the edge -- then dump it out and dip the toothpick (or two, if the hole is WAY much too large) in Elmer's or another wood glue, stick it in with the thick end in first, and then insert the screw and tighten. No biggie.

4. I dont have the money right now, but i was gonna sell my bass, and then use that to pay for it so if the peavey was worth like 150, i would give him 100 and keep the 50.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You like the look and the sound (#1) better, so even if it was a cheaper bass than yours, you'd essentially be trading up.

All you have to do is decide if you like its sound and look $100 more.

6. Yeah, beat down some old grannies in the park to get $ 100 then go get that bass.. it's always nice to have 2 different basses.. variation is sweet :D

And the strap-pin.. no problem..

Go to a hardware store and buy a screw that's just as big, but about 0.5cm ( or 0.1 inch ) longer..

then get some matches / toothpicks.. plug one in the hole..
    measure the length..take it out again... and cut the match/toothpick

next, squirt some wood-glue in the hole, and put the match/toothpick back in. next screw the strap-lock/holder in with the longer screw, and lay aside your bass for a couple of hours ( or at least leave the strap off and use the bass on your knee ).

should do the trick.. and if you want security.. get a screw that's a little thicker + longer..

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Peavey and Washburn are both cool companies... if you like the sound of your friend's bass better, may as well get it. If you can't get the cash - then go ahead and trade your bass for one you like better. Good luck.