1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my friend removed my bass neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by smilelines, Jun 9, 2007.

1. smilelines

smilelines

Jun 9, 2007
    My friend removed my bass neck thinking he could fix the action of my strings....yeah no this made it completely worse and as you go down the neck the strings get higher and higher.. can someone please help me out to fix this??

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Did he remove or add a shim?

4. smilelines

smilelines

Jun 9, 2007
    no

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Did he remove the strings before he did this? If he left the strings on there, when he replaced the neck, it might not be seated in the pocket correctly, because the strings were under some tension. Remove the strings, then replace the neck.

If he did remove the strings, disregard this post.

What kind of bass is it?

6. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    You need a truss rod adjustment. You can pay $40 or so to have it done or spend some time and learn how to do it yourself. It's not that hard to learn and definately worth it. .

7. smilelines

smilelines

Jun 9, 2007
    No man! he didn't replace the strings and now they are all bent, either way I have to have them replaced. the bass is a squier, something I bought just for recording with because im really a guitar player and at home record.

8. smilelines

smilelines

Jun 9, 2007
    Do you know a site I can learn this at? i really didn't see anything on the sites I was given on the first reply to this post.

9. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    That Fender link is dead.

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Can you elaborate on these bent strings?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021