Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY FULLTONE BASSDRIVER REVIEW!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Feb 1, 2002.

1. ...well... no... not really.
    I just recieved this pedal yesterday and couldnt wait to give you guys the good word on it but unfortunatly I don't think that I have been able to really test out the pedal enough for a proper review. I tried it on my small crate amp and was actually disapointed :eek: with the sound! I couldn't believe it... oh well... my moog sounds like s:Dt on my crate as well. As soon as I get my rig back from the old practice space I'll try it out then and come back for my full on review of it...

oh and yes this post was really just a big waste of your time ;)

oh yeah... anyone know where I can find an online manual... it didn't seem to come with one :(

2. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    I just got me a Fulltone Bassdrive too...

And it kicks bum. Wow, it goes from the most subtle overdrive to screaming, wailing, muchos sustain distortion. I love it.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have onew too...well actually it is sort of one. Mike Fuller of Fulltone custom built a BassDrive for me housed in a blue FullDrive II case. The thing really sounds incredible. The only other bass OD which is in the same league is the SWR Interstellar Overdrive. It is the most dynamic responding pedal out there. I used it on a couple of tracks on my new CD.
    Congrats on yours...get it running thru your rig, and you will be blown away.
    Max

4. Exactly the same here...

Mike just slapped a "BassDrive" Sticker over the "Fulldrive" silk screen print.

:D IOD-In-A-Box :D
    [​IMG]

Do you prefer a Blue Box with a Black Sticker and Black knobs.... Or White Sticker with White knobs? :eek:

[​IMG]

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

mine is blue with white knobs....and it still reads FullDrive II on it (silkscreened). The guts we reworked not the case.
    Max

6. I thought about removing the BassDrive sticker to reveal the FullDrive II underneath... but decided not to mess with it.

7. Fulltone Bass Review
    Part 1
    Chris Sadlers
    price paid: 150US

I finally got what i thought to be the holy grail of bass distortion. I eagerly got it home and plugged it in to the first amp I had available... my pos crate combo practice amp... boy what a mistake. My first impression was that this was definetly not worth the money... god my boss odb sounds better then this. I was most unhappy.
    A few days later I was finally able to hook up my full rig. I ran the Bassdriver direct into my GK800, plugged in, and stomped down on the pedal.
    I was pleasantly surprised. The first overdrive channel was amazing. Very realistic sounding. A very nice light overdrive that does a great job and recreating the sound of a overdriven tube amp. Next I tried the boost channel and was blown away. I love the way I can now instantly switch from a nice Geddy lee like overdrive to full on Cliff Burton wailing distortion. I do not think it is absolutely the greatest bass distortion ever made but it is damn good none the less.
    This pedal is the best touch reacting overdrive i have ever played through. The odb-3 sounds the same no matter how you play but this one is very responsive to your touch and style. It perserves your low end perfectly and it also definetly the quietest distortion unit I have ever heard.
    The true bypass is also great and there is absolutely no tone loss when its on or off.
    To top it all off this thing is built like a hummer inside and out and the craftsman ship is topnotch. This thing definetly beats out my boss pedals in reliability... it will have no problem being stomped on again and again on stage.
    I have yet to be able to try this baby out with the band but that is what part 2 is for. I am going to into greater detail in the next part of review in how it sounds with other effects, how well it works and stands out with the band, and a direct comparison to other overdrive pedals.
    Ease of Use: 4 (comp cut thing through me off at first)
    Sound Quality: 4.5 (not the holy grail pedal i thought it would be but extremely good none the less
    Construction: 5 (perfection)
    Overall: 4.5 (recommend to anyone looking for a great sounding, high quality bass overdrive that beats the living hell out of the boss and ibanez models)

8. Good review ImNotGeddyLee, very informative looks like a new pedal for me to lust after. Or the SWR interstella overdrive.

9. Great info so far. Since I'm in the same position as you (buy before you try) I'd very much appreciate an mp3 ... going from clean to subtle OD to Flaming Death.

Enjoy.

10. Id like to but I dont have anywhere to host it and i would be afraid of not doing the fulltone justice with an mp3. My 4track is the definition for sh:eek:tty recorders and my mic isnt of the highest caliber either. My room that my rig is set up in right now also causes a decent amount of vibration and my tweeter in my cab is starting to distort. An mp3 at this time will not help you get an idea of how the bassdriver sounds... maybe when I get back with the band and start recording again I can post one then.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    mine should be here in about a week or so. I can't wait. Mine was backordered for a couple of weeks, but now hopefully it will come. I'll give mine a review too once i get it and get used to it.

-KB