Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My funk/pop-band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Last week me and some buddies decided to start a band. So we made four songs, practised, and did a gig on thursday.
    Anyway, these are live recordings from the console - and not by any means perfect. Especially the vocals sound bad - but the guys is an entertainer, you know;) The youngest one of us is 16 (keybs) and I´m the oldest one. (19) Any feedback on how the band sounds is highly appreciated. Thanks.

http://home.no.net/hanton/marq/Marq - Funk.mp3
    http://home.no.net/hanton/marq/Marq - Dance.mp3
    http://home.no.net/hanton/marq/Marq - Feel Free.mp3

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm glad you noted that the singer sucks... because that was my first note... I hope he really entertains for your sake. :meh:

But the music is tight! I dig it, a cool vibe fo sho. Pretty amazing that kids your age would be making funk/pop this tight, very cool.

3. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego

Umm exact what he said! Get a better singer and who knows?????

4. Thanks! The singer does not sound that bad in a real live situation, though. It sounds way more terrible in this recording - straight from the mixing board, you know. It sounds way more musically when he blends with the music.

That being said, I totally agree with you that he is our weakest link. What do you guys think about my tone?You got to turn up a bit to hear me properly:)

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ditch the singer.

And, I thought the music was ok, but it needs "dryer" you know, I miss "snap" and cleanness.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Your tone is pretty good, it could use a bit more highs to achieve that modern funk bass sound. They tend to use a smiley face EQ these days. I'm really on the fence about your tone though, it could be brighter, or it could stay where it's at.

7. Thanks, I'll think about that. I left my eq flat, and chances are the soundguy did the same! I also had pretty old strings...

8. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    scotland
    well gosh darn it, why can't I get to play in a band like that?! sounds like great fun.

9. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Ahhh the beauty of recording...often in a live situation the ear can be fooled - I think the band sounds great and the singer sounded a bit nervous. I think some more practise and a few more gigs should sort that out. Keep up the good work;)

I enjoyed the links in Norwegian - I am sure he is very funny lol:smug:

10. Well, get one together!
    I've only been in cover bands and jazz combos before. So this time I found out how cool it is to play your own songs....I mean, a couple of this songs we made in like, an hour - just because we needed something to play on the gig. But it was (and is) a whole lot of fun.