My future bass rig! (opinions?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ModestCargo, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Okay, so I think I've pretty much settled on what I want. My rig is going to consist of:

* Fender 400 Pro Head (350w into 4 ohms)
    * Bag End 2x12" Cabinet (4 ohms, 400w continuous handling)

I may in future get another 2x12" to make it a 4x12" rig. This would also take it into 2 ohm territory with the head and give me 500 watts of power.

This stuff sounds ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING to me. My dream rig. What do you all think? Any experience with this head or Bag End enclosures?
  2. go for a yorkville head (xs400h for example) and a avatar neo b212.

teh win.
  3. Nah, that's okay, I'll stick with my Fender+Bag End.

I've heard the Yorkville stuff, and am a big fan of Yorkville/Traynor stuff, but this Fender head is the one I want, it's just got the sound... I can't describe it.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What made you settle on the head? And what got you settled on the cab? I know other good cabs in the price range are Avatar and Ear Candy cabs, and other good heads are the Groovebass, and as mentioned the Yorkie, along with the YBA-200.
  5. The sound, and the sound. :)
  6. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I have 3 bag end cabinets and love them none are the 212.

A good friend has a 212 cab and uses an old musicman head, it sounds great.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What about the sound though? Punch, growl, thump? And how did it compare to whatever else you tried?
  8. alanhasradar

alanhasradar Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been running the BagEnd 2x12 for a couple years now and *love* it! Most of the time, I run it alone powering it with a Demeter pre and QSC 2404 (by the way, that power handling number seems *very* conservative to me...I always run 700w from one side of the QSC with no problems at all).
    I also run a BagEnd 1x18, too and really like the combination...I stack the whole deal with the 1x18 on the floor, the rack in the middle and the 2x12 atop. Gives the phatty bottom coupled with the stage but keeps the 2x12's mids intact through the stage volume.
    Just a couple cents of mine :bassist:
  9. It (the Fender) seems to have this round, warm, fat, totally clean sound, even with the E.Q. flat (which is how an amp should be).

Others I've tried include Galleon-Kruger, Genz-Benz, Yorkville, Traynor, Ampeg, SWR, the list just goes on really. I found that they were all lacking that certain warmth, or just had a lot of high end and upper mids that were hard to dial out... They also, sometimes, had a bunch of complicated B.S. features that I didn't need.

That fender just kicked my ass every time I plugged into it. In fact the first time it was in a combo version (same head, 2x10") and loved it, even though I don't generally like 10"s. It was even better when I got it into some 12" and 15" speakers.

As far as the Bag End, loud and clean. No rattle or "speaker flap" as I like to call it. That, and it just sounded so great, I can't describe it, but it was like THAT's the bass sound I was hearing in my head.
  10. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Congrats! You've found your rig! Lets just hope your tastes don'g change becuase then you'll have to buy more gear that's often times much more expensive searching for the sound in your head again.
  11. Yeah, let's hope this is IT.

I'm sure it will be though - actually right now I play out of a 70s Roland Bass Cube 60 stacked on top of a Trace Elliot Boxer 65. I run from the preamp out on the Roland into the input of the Trace. The Roland's EQ is flat while some of the Trace's mids are taken out and it's run with almost no treble.

The combination of these two amps (both have one 12") is a killer sound, but it's not enough power... I don't like to push them as they both have some cabinet rattle. I was basically searching for this sound in a bigger amp, and I found it... but also found so much more.