My future jazz project.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    After getting this squier fretless from a friend, I want a Fretless Fender Jazz of my own. My latest idea was this..

A fender MIM jazz, finish removed.. Drive up to canada and visit George from F-bass and have those guys finish it in that beautiful violin burst finish.. I love the dullness of that.. It'll have a matching headstock too. Gold badass bridge, knobs, control plate, tuners, and "Fender" logo. Fender Custom shop 60's jazz pickups, rewired electronics (still passive, just wires with better construction).

My main problem is the finish.. Do you guys think the people at F bass would do it at a reasonable price?
  2. i dont know about the finish, but man, that will be smokin!
    i'd just be a touch worried that you might not have such good looking wood under all that paint. they would save their best materials for a natural finish you know? best of luck though, i cant wait to see how that will look
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Eh.. I bet it would look good with a violin burst. I simply adore that color.
  4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    ya hes got a point, but f bass should do it. Phil kubicki will restore or repair any brand for ya so im thinkin the F bass guy should.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    imo, it would be rediculous to put that much money into a mim jazz. your looking at least around 500 dollars worth of mods into a 300 dollar bass. warmoth parts are better quality than a mim jazz. the phrase "you cant polish a turd" comes to mind........
  6. you can buy me fender mim fretless
  7. my bad, what i meant to say was i dont know anything about that colour, i've never seen it before. since i last posted i saw some pics of a violin burst, and i'm with you, its pretty sweet

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    George is really busy right now. It would take a while, and it will cost you at least $800-1000 canadian to have it done. They were going to refinish my '64 Jazz a few years back but were too busy. It is not worth it IMO to do any mods like that to a MIM or a Squier unless it has an absolutely amazing natural tone. You are better off saving and putting together a bass.