Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Future Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Nov 24, 2003.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I'm going with the Mesa Boogie 400+

and either the SVT-410HLF or the SVT-610HLF

opinions on which cab?

thanks

2. How often will you be transporting the cab from:
    -house to vehicle
    -vehicle to stage
    -stage to vehicle
    -vehicle to house

...and, how loud is the stage volume for your band?

If I had a house gig (gear stays in the club for months), I'd do the 610. If I didn't have to pack the cab up and down a flight of stairs every weekend, I'd do the 610.

3. Nice Head - been wanting one myself.

Why not pair it with a Mesa 4x10 or 6x10?

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    yeah I'm also looking at the mesa cabs... I can't find any actual prices on the net does anyone know what the price and weight diff between the powerhouse 4x10, 1x15, and the powerhouse 1000 (4x10;1x15)?

what would be a cab better setup do you think?

5. Well .... I tried out the 400+ and a Powerhouse 1000 - dude, its a loud rig! Awesome sound. Weight kind of freaked me out - not sure of the exact weight, but its gotta be 150lbs minimum. I also tried a 4x10 Powerhouse and it was smooth. Two of those would be killer. Or how about a Mesa 6x10? :D

Maybe a Mesa user can help you more than me. Myself, I"m looking for a RR Diesel 4x10 cab at the moment.

6. I personally stay away from ampeg cabs. When I recently tested some gear I used the following configurations:

Ampeg SVT4 with Ampeg 810E
    Ampeg SVT4 with Mesa 410+115 powerhouse

Mesa M-2000 with Ampeg 810E
    Mesa M-2000 with Mesa 410+115 powerhouse

(Bought the MESA M-2000 btw...I am so happy...Uhhhhh. I'll have to hook it up to some Mesa cabs when the cash is flowing again.)

Of all the configurations, the Mesa+Mesa was the absolute BEST. The worst sounding IMO was the Ampeg+Ampeg....Just not my style. I dig a clear funky hi-fi sound. The ampeg head would give me a LOT of dullness and underpowered -(yes underpowered...stop denying it)- sluggish tone. The SVT4 did sound decent with the Mesa cabs though. But the ampeg cab sounded like a huge pile to me...And made the M-2000 sound shameful (very, very hard to do...)

So overall, everything sounded decent as long as there was no cheaply made ampeg cabinet attached to it. Good for classic rock sound, I guess. Mesa kicked it in the rear end for me. I would personally go mesa cabs, especially when using a mesa head.

----The thought had crossed my mind once that the Ampeg company is a big conspiracy invented by guitarists to keep the bassist from becoming a lead instrument....Hmm think about that one for a while...----

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    thanks for the info

dee wurthy: I came to roughly the same conclusions as you as far as mesa vs. ampeg.
    I think I have my rig picked out now.
    I am going to play through the cabs again, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 400+, a powerhouse 4x10 and a 1x15.

amos