1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My fuzz ain't fuzzing!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kydnav, Mar 17, 2008.

1. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    It's boosting :eyebrow:

I was making one of those diy fuzz pedals. All done, just needs casing, so I tested it..
    I plug everything in. Turn on my amp. Turn on the pedal.
    WHAM! Volume boost!

I turn the pot down, volume goes down.
    Turn the pot up, volume goes up.

Now this would be great if I wanted a pedal to boost my volume. But it's supposed to be a fuzz!

I can't make pictures of it right now, but I used this for making it:
    http://www.newtone-online.nl/downloads/MuffFuzz.pdf
    (warning: PDF & Dutch)

If anyone has any idea what might be wrong, thanks a bunch!

[edit]

Added pictures!

The whole bunch (yes, it's a wirey mess, I know.. It's my first attempt)
    [​IMG]

Front:
    [​IMG]

Soldering:
    [​IMG]

Click for bigger!

2. are you playing pretty hard? Distortion pedals needs diggin in to get a decent sound.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You're kidding, right?

4. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Even if I pluck at my hardest, not a grid of fuzz in my tone..

5. actually, not at all. I find that you can really control the amount of distortion in your sound by changing your technique, If you play normally, you get just a hint of dirt in the sound, when You dig harder, the sound gets more fuzzy.

My experience is from an overdrive pedal in front of an all tube amp though, it might not work the same with another amp.

Most guitar players i've seen do it too, when they play soflty they get a pretty clean sound and when they dig in the distortion kicks in.

It makes sense, diggin' in produces a stronger signal, a stronger signal will overdrive any pedal or preamp more easilly, hence the added distortion.

6. I'm looking at the schematic and there is one thing that looks a bit odd.

The BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz seems to be similar, but there is a resistor from the base of the first transistor to the emitter of the second transistor. The schematic you have seems to have this floating resitor R4 that doesn't connect to anything. Maybe if you connect it similar to the BYOC circuit you might find better performance.

7. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    While that is true of overdrive pedals, fuzz pedals are a totally different animal. It should be fuzzy regardless of the volume hitting it.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah, that explains it. What you are describing makes perfect sense in that context. The reason I said "you're kidding" is because most distortion and fuzz pedals put out a much heavier level of distortion even at lower input levels (light playing), compared to an overdrive pedal.

Try a fuzz pedal out, you'll get an interesting surprise!

(to the OP, sorry for the hijack, I don't know the answer to your problem.)

9. That clears things up, thanks,

Now back to the thread. :)

10. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    touch sensitivity wouldn't explain it (aka plucking harder to get more distorted sound) and the schematic is correct (Rakirksey's description kinda reminded me the fuzz face and its happy family).

Ok now, two reasons that your circuit do not work:

1- you made a mistake somewhere. Especially check the diodes and their orientation
    2- use high gain transistors, such as 2N5088 or similiar (average hfe=1400-1600)

Edit: I am not just saying this in that logic => high gain transistor = high gain pedal :D The negative loop diodes needs enough juice, or they won't clip at all. A moderate gain transistor won't feed them, such as 2n3904.

11. Wren and Cuff

Wren and Cuff Commercial User

Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    Creator/Owner: Wren and Cuff FX
    3 things first.

Check that the clipping diodes are facing the opposite directions, and connected to ground properly.

Check all ground connections, then check 'em again.

Check the pin-out on the transistors.

Just a bit of advice. Try a regular old Fuzz-face first. Silicon resistors work just fine (2n3906 is a good place to start). *note, this will be PNP, don't try a regular power supply on it. Stick to batts for now. make an NPN FF later. http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/fuzzface.php
    also, switch the in and out caps to .22uf or .47uf to better accommodate bass!
    good luck,

matt

12. Wren and Cuff

Wren and Cuff Commercial User

Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    Creator/Owner: Wren and Cuff FX
    Hey musicelectronix,

I guess we posted at the same time!

13. 99% chance that you made a mistake somewhere in soldering the circuit. Check everything, and then check your grounds!! Make sure what is grounded is supposed to be, and that nothing that isn't supposed to be grounded is.
    That's almost always the problem I have when building anything. Especially in a metal case with metal jacks. If you're 100% sure you have the circuit right, insulate with some hot glue or some material or plastic or tape or whatever you have.

14. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    howdy brother :)

15. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    This happenned to me before. The problem was that I had the ground from the input and output jacks connected to each other, and the board and battery connected, but I did not have them all tied together. Once I connected input, output, board, and battery grounds all together, it worked fine.

Check carefully for solder bridges on the stripboard as well.

16. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    :oops:

17. i've always had problems like this till i introduced more clipping in circuits haha

18. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Wow, where else do you get 2 pedal builders telling you how to build your DIY fuzz?!

19. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Still not working :(

20. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    have you made sure all your values are correct. i always get confused by 100 k and 10k resistors. they look very similar .