Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my g string buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JustOpenYourMind, Dec 17, 2001.

1. my g string buzzes pretty badly especially in the lower frets (i.e. 123)

my setup is :
    a cort action bass (4)
    low action

the buzz seem to go away if I pluck the string gently

Is it normal or am I playing too hard (there's nofretbuzz on the other strings)

thanks for your help

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Could be:

G string saddle too low.
    G string nut cut too deep.
    High frets in that area.
    Your technique.
    Your neck may be warped. :eek:

Take it to a tech and see if its the bass or you.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm pretty sure it is a setup problem....
    Moved to setup

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Take it to yourt local music-man because it sounds like the strings have worn a deeper hole in the nut so you might need a new nut...OR worse still...yeah...a warped neck!

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Wouldnt nut height only be a factor on an open string?If your playing a fretted note,hasnt the nut essentially been taken out of the picture?

Just wondering.......

6. (resist all g-string related jokes)

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Nut height: yeas.
    Nut width: no.

I too think that it seems like a relief issue, which in setup terms is truss rod issue.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    All necks warp slightly. It is when they go past "slightly" that we actually called them warped. So dont freak if you notice a slight twist in the neck. It is usually subtle, but noticeable. Depending on the quality of the neck construction. I don't think I have ever seen a Fender jazz without a slight twist in the neck. It is due to the difference in string tension across the neck. This is especially true in 5 and 6+ string basses. That is why some builders have tried the duel truss rod construction.

You probably just need to put a little more relief in the neck so the G string can clear the first few frets.

If you then have trouble getting the E string action low enough, try switching to a tapered E string.

If you don't play high up the neck very much, there is a really simple solution. Just raise the action on the G string so it doesn't buzz. The slightly higher action on the higher frets might not bother you that much.

Chas