My G String sounds weak.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dave44, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I was listening to a recording of our band last night and heard or should I say could not hear my G string. I realise that I have to reset my EQ does anyone have some suggestions as to how I bring out my G string from hiding.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    On what bass did it happen?

Fender J's usually have a deadspot on the G. The large headstock and the flat-sawn neck are the reason for that.

The G string on my Mr. Bassman (pre-Human Base), which is pretty thin @ .035, sounds great but it's a quarter-sawn neck-thru.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know what you mean - I generally loathe my D and G because the get lost in the mix......(the music just gets pretty loud at times!!!).

But I have improved the situation by doing several things;

- bringing the D/G end of the pickup closer to those strings and moving the B/E/A a bit further away for more balance; (they're Bartolinis; not too shabby)
    - using "Grade A" strings; right now I'm getting better results from a differently-gauged G string with a larger core that isn't from the same set as the rest of the strings
    - using a good chorus stompbox (an EBS). I don't use it where it produces the classic, haunting, "ring" of a deep chorus. It just adds a little more "sizzle" to the D and G.

I have a SansAmp Bass Driver, a parametric EQ and a graphic EQ but they don't solve it totally. Maybe when I get a $4000 bass, the problem will be solved very simply once and for all :rolleyes:
  4. Yes JMX, I do own a Fender J bass, I'll have to perhaps raise the pickup a touch in order for it to be heard. I did not know that J's had this problem. Can I use a diffrent gauge G string from the rest? Might this help?
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I was having similar problems with my Ibanez; raising the pickups pretty much took care of the problem. A little creative EQinq can also help - try boosting the mids a little and see what happens.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Pull it out of your crack.... hahahahha... :rolleyes: Sorry.
  7. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    but then it wouldn't look so damn sexy... HAHAHA
    :p :p :p
  8. Play more softly on the bottom strings and push the amp to compensate. Gotta have control for that. Try playing further up towards the neck with your right hand, as you may get more control over volume.

Practice more. :)

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I usually play the quiet strings harder, more of a slapping action and they seem to cut through the mix. I find the tone and attack is all in the fingers.
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A really good trick on 2-pickup basses if you're not someone who varies the pickup pan by much, is to favour the high strings on the neck pickup and the low strings on the bridge pickup.

However, even when you do this you'll find that the bridge pickup will be about the same distance from all the strings just because the thinner strings don't produce as much electromagnetic output. The neck pickup will be much closer to the high strings than the low strings with this setup.

By doing this you'll get more bass from the high strings and more growl from the low strings, giving a much more even sound across the whole neck.

11. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    2 things to check:

1. Your pickups could be out of adjustment. You _should_ get an even amount of sound from each string. Take it to a luthier and have them adjust it, or play with the pickup adjustments yourself until you have a more uniform volume output from all the pickups.

2. Your EQ settings are killing you. If you have your mids rolled way back and/or if your bass and treble controls are cranked through the ceiling... you are going to sound very thin on the G string as well as the higher registers of the D string. Try completely flattening your EQ curve on your amp and turning the EQ controls on your bass to the center position. See how the different strings sound volume-wise.

Dead spots in the neck are another possible problem... but the likelihood of the entire G string being a dead spot is very slim. :D