1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

my g string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kkaarrll, May 28, 2016.

1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    suggestive title yes

my g string stinks
    I use ernie ball cobalt ss rounds on all of my basses

and I am starting to notice and not like that the g string just doesn't do it

the other strings and sounds I love

I don't think it is a setup issue, as it is on all of my basses

it just sounds dead, lifeless, thin, not good, half the volume, can't compare, to the rest of the strings.

is it dead? do I need a new set?
    do I need a different brand of strings for my 5 strings?

do i just need a bigger gauge g?

suggestions welcome

2. Try a different gauge or a different brand G for a replacement . I've had that happen a number of times. I just poke around in my string collection until I find one that sonically fits the bill...

kkaarrll likes this.
  3. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    @SLaPiNFuNK do you have a suggestion here?

4. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    Cobalts aren't my first choice, but when I've used them they have done well. If this all happened from one set of strings, try one more package, or go on bassstringsonline and buy single set strings of cobalts.

kkaarrll likes this.
  5. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Slippage in the windings? Slight twist? Pickup height need a tweak?

I ask these things because stuff does happen that makes strings not sound "right". EB's quality control is pretty good, actually...at least in my experience. But by all means experiment with different strings to see if you can isolate the problem and come up with a solution that works for you. Personally, I'd be curious to know what you find out.

seang15 and kkaarrll like this.
  6. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    it just "feels" like it is not balanced with the others gauge wise

may be looking at dr nickel low riders

7. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    so, who makes the best g string?

8. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Victoria's Secret?

Seriously, I've started using 50s in my "45-100" sets. I use Daddarios though, flats and rounds.

Skeezix and kkaarrll like this.
  9. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    I was waiting for this.
    Funny

but not the point. I really am trying to find a g that works

10. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    It's probably been riding up too high... and needs a good wipe down with alcohol to remove the crap :roflmao:

Definitely time to go with a .045" :bassist:

kkaarrll likes this.
  11. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014

Slinky Cobalt Electric Bass Strings

P02736.png

already

dont like

12. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Hmm... Since you already have a .045" I'm guessing that either the string is "bad" of there is something else going on. I'm assuming you have checked to make sure it is not twisted... and that you have set the break angle at the bridge saddle and nut.

Also check for unweighted string saddles with one of the set screws a bit loose. Double check the nut slot by pressing down on the offending string at.. or behind the nut slot to see if the tone improves.

A loose slot can suck a lot of life out of a... string.

Whenever I've had a stinky string it's usually been a .040" or smaller G.

I'll be interested to hear how this resolves.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    kkaarrll likes this.
  13. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Shadow of South Philly
    I'm interested here as well. Especially since I've had this problem with more than one brand and I lean toward higher gauge strings in general.

The biggest culprit is my Gibson SG Supreme. Volume is a big problem and the lack of sustain is driving me crazy.

14. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    well, the saddle on the fretless is a little weird--it rises up easily, and seems like the set screw to raise and lower it is barely sliding off the edge

I think it is a schaller bridge, but not sure

I will take closer pics of it in the next couple of days when I am not working so dang much.

The problem is, the weak g string is also happening on my l2500 with the saddle lock bridge, and that bridge is locked down.

15. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    it still sounds weird, I raised up the saddle some thinking it may be the action some-maybe the nut is a little low, but open it rings pretty good

anyhow, when I took it off of the rolling part of the saddle--it sounded better, no idea why---that is actually lower, but more towards the midline of the body/bridge

here are a couple of pics for people that know more than I

the g saddle is a little bit wider out and loose feeling (I can push it up with my finger from the side quite easily)

16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS! :thumbsup:

17. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    ok
    stainless rounds ghs are?

and is this the problem?

18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  19. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    is that the problem?

20. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    @ubnomnar what do you think

is that g string twisted? I tried my other g strings again on other basses--they were ok

the one on the fretless is wonky

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021