my G string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by only4him012, Apr 3, 2003.

1. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    last night i wasted two G strings on my stingRay.
    i was just practicing popping and my pretty new elixir was gone. so i was tring to replace the whole set with sunbeam, but the problem that i want to ask heppend.
    because it was my second time changing string and the sunbeam didn't have bands on its end the G sting kept slipping. evntually the sting got too short after i was cutting it to make sure i get the unbent sting. i'm thinking of just getting another single G string of sunbeam and try again

the question is what can i do to prevent slipping? i think i was pulling the string enough when i was winding it. but maybe not.

also i think that bands( colorful threads on the end?) are good to have. what strings have them? does DR have that too?
  2. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

Unfortunately, I don't know how strings 'seat' in the machine head's post of the "StingRay"... a small bend at the end of the string typically 'seats' into a center hole on the post??

-as you wind the string, keep your free hand firmly pressing the string to post

-the string should be wound from top to bottom, with each succesive winding laying underneath the previous one

-once the string is wound and tuned, some "light" pulling or stretching of the string will help pull out the slack and tighten it onto the machine head

If your string continues breaking, you should check for burrs or some other type of abnormality.

Hopes this helps,
    michael s.

BTW: personally, I use Dean Markley "Blue Steel" bass strings - they have the cloth you spoke of
  3. I've had the excact same problem, only with a Slowound g-string wich actually has a silkwrap, so it can't because the DR doesn't. I've been playing for 15 years, and only tried this once and I'm very carefull when installing strings. Maybe it has something to do with the outer wrap unraveling. It did on my Slowound. Dunno!?
    I think you should get a new Sunbeam g-string, since I don't believe it helps if the string is silkwrappep at the end.

Good luck :)
  4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    First, determine how long the string should be to provide about 2-3 full wraps around the tuning peg. Then, put a 90-degree bend in the string at this point BEFORE you cut off the excess length. This will prevent the windings from unraveling.

If the string is slipping on the tuning peg, you need to make sure the end of the string is held firmly in the slot in the peg, and that the end of the string is inserted in the hole in the middle of the peg.

I hope this helps. It's hard to explain without pictures.

5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I don't think that it's a problem with the Sunbeams, I've been using them for a while and I've never had that happen. You do have to be careful cutting the excess length because of the round-core (as opposed to hex-core) construction. DR's roundcore models (such as the Sunbeams and Hi-beams) generally come with instructions about how to cut and string them properly. As an aside I personally love Sunbeams, so I would recommend you try to get another set on there. They are great strings.
  6. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    thanks for your help guys.
    and jdombrow, i think i tried that. cuz i looked at the link about putting new strings that talkbass had. and i tried to do everything close to it possible. should i pull it really firmly when i wind it? cuz i did pull it but while winding it the string just slipped out little by little. also when i thought i'm done with all the strings. i was stretching them. when i got to g string it slipped.

so i guess i'm not doing it properly?
    i did put the string end in the middle hole.
    so these kind of thing happends only to beginners?