Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my gallien-krueger 1001rb just got FRIED!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Sep 6, 2003.

1. yeah, i was setting up my equipment and turned everything on to get ready to play onstage, and all of a suuden, smoke starts to come from my bass head. i spilled nothing on it, it has been in a rack all of it's life, and i have babied it since i have had it, so how can i get gellien krueger to compensate for this, or how can i somehow get this thing traded in for something else? or who is the main GK rep. on talkbass? because i abslutely need to have this thing fixed or something by friday (the 12th). if you are the rep from GK, call me anytime, i stay up really late and get up early, at 616-527-6703 my name is erik krueger. thanks.

erik

2. Wow that really stinks. Couldn't have overheated ?

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    his name is Daniel Elliot. (either Eliot or Elliot)

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    GK took several months to warranty repair my 2000RB, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, and just make arrangements to borrow another rig for your next several dates.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Your name is Erik Krueger? Krueger. Your last name is Krueger. Oh, the irony.

~Patrick

6. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Just a little curious-- how long have you had the amp? Was this the first time you had hooked it up in a particular configuration you had never tried before? Was there anything peculiar happening before it fried?

7. i have had the amp about a year and a half and i have always had it hooked up in one kind of configuration (not sure what the name of it is). but it has always been hokked up with either a speakon or a 1/4 inch to a 4 ohm cab, either a 6x10 or a 2x15.

8. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I used to be the GK guy. Now I'm not. Erik check your PMs. I am giving you Dan's Cell number. It used to be mine. GK didn't like me anymore. Punish them Erik, Punish them...Just kidding. Maybe not. Maybe so. Check your PMs. I will make it so!:)

9. when would be a good time to call them? i am on eastern time, not sure what they are in.

erik

10. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you haven't done so, you might run an outlet tester on the outlet that your amp was plugged into when it fried. Just a thought; there is some pretty scary wiring in the world.

11. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    when would be a good time to call them?

anytime...they are on pacific time.

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Had an 800RB go down 5 times between 1989 & 1992. :mad: Bought a Hartke 7000 in 1992 and have never had a problem with it, and I play full time meaning this amp is used about 1000 hours a year. That's over 13000 hours at this point.:eek:

I know several other bassists who have had similar problems with GK amps.

They sound good,
    but their reliability...???:meh:

13. I bet your 800RB was going down because of overheating and poor ventilation. There's no fan in it and while we've talked about adding one, people start throwing a tizzy fit anytime we mention even the slightest change to the 800RB design. You need to make sure it has good ventilation around it and if you're going to be playing outside in the hot sun or under hot stage lights, you should get a little clip on fan to point at it. That should pretty much eliminate any problems with the 800RB. BTW the vast majority of 800RB owners that I have talked to have not had any problems with them. We just got one in that has been in use for over 20 years and only now has had a problem. The footswitch jack went out.

The 1001RB-II, 700RB-II and 400RB-IV have had almost no failures (3 to be exact) whatsoever since we started shipping them in May. Each of those three failures was something totally unique.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Two of the repair technicians, neither of which knew the other, one of which repaired it 2 of the 5 times, both said the problem was bad solder points that had to be redone. Once they were fixed it would work again until others came loose.:( :meh:

15. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I had a laundry list of problems with my 1001rb. It broke a few days after i bought it used.... accually it took me a day to notice i bought it broken. (go guitar center, who told me to **** off when I asked for help in the repairs). Anyway Dan has been very nice on helping me fix the amp. It's going to cost me over 200 bucks to get it back on the road. A lot of the cost is being taken care of as a warrenty even though it's past it's prime. Thank you GK. I got it for under 300 so all in all it's still a fair deal. Their older amps may have some problems but their customer service will make it worth it. Let's not mention how good they sound.....!!

Hartke may in your opinion have better durability than OLDER GKs but I have never been more dissapointed then when I was forced to play on a high end Hartke setup at warped tour. They sound like crap plain and simple.

16. So you had a bad board. If it kept going down on you, the boards should've been replaced at some point. I haven't seen that happen too often with the 800RB.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    OK, "Hooked On Phonics" may be needed here.

I never said that GK was "crap". I simply relayed my (bad) experience with GK, which was similar to several other bassists I knew, that were using GK (they weren't all 800RBs BTW, as was suggested as an explaination earlier by Dan) at the time. Heck, I even said they sounded good.

Don't know what Hartke setup you were using, but the learning curve on my 7000 (and similar like the 3500) is a little higher than you may be used to. You have to be smarter than the amp. :p

A generic statement like "They (Hartke) sound like crap plain and simple" is simply ignorant, especially based on their world wide sales and major users. I have, in all the years I've owned and used this head (usually with Hartke XL cabs as well), never had nothing but utter praise and appreciation for the tone I get from this amp. I also know several other Hartke users (I live in Vegas/Lots of players here!) and they all seem to be quite happy with their amps and I know of only one that had trouble. He fried his 7000 by hooking it up improperly to a couple cabs. (He was not smarter than the amp. :D )

GK has also always been a good sounding amp, however, I seem to spot "Having trouble with my GK" type threads, here on TB, much more often than "My Hartke Fried!" or "My Hartke Sounds Like Crap" type threads.

18. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I may have been a bit rash but I did have a lot of time to try and get the thing to sound good. I like having as simple as EQ as possible, on GK and Ampeg SVTs I'm at 12 o clock on everything with maybe some extra mid range. Perhaps Hartke and I were never meant to be.

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Could be. Beauty is in the Eye (or the Ear;) ).

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Beauty is in the eye of the ear.