Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Gary Willis just came in!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nova, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    Mr. FedEx left this beauty on my front porch this morning. This is my first fretless and I love it! It was also my first experience with Music 123, and I have to say, they were great to deal with!

I know how much you guys love pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ There's a picture of it with my ESP C-305.

For the money, this bass is awesome. I had some doubts about the pickup, but they were all dismissed after I plugged this beast in. VERY growly. And I'm loving the ramp. I saw a thread on ramps here before and I definately see what the hype was about. Right now, I'm thinking about making one for my ESP.

-Zachary Binx!-

2. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps

is it the 105 or the 35?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I played one of those at Manny's NYC a while ago and it wasn't bad, wasn't good. Probably just my intonation at fault, but it felt quality for the money.

4. Im actualy thinking of getting into fretless right now too!

But Im thinking of a fretless 'Vette 'Wick, which would any of you reccomend, the GWB, or a 'Vette???

Hope you love that bass, it sure is purty!!!!!!!!

Hoping to be fretless one day too,

~Ryan.

PS, I forgot, so I edited!!

Looks to me like the 35, with the bass wood body and the non Bart pickup, I guess its an Ibanez pup??? I know its an Ebonol fingerboard, is that like Ebony and polyproponal or something?

BTW, how's the neck feel width-wise?? I hate 5 string Ibanez Sound Gear necks b/c theyre too friggin wide. Is the GWB anything like them? Or more like the Ergodyne ones, which are WAY thinner???

5. I've got the old fretless version GWB1. The neck is one of the thinnest necks i've ever played. The width is similar to a Warwick thumb i played a while ago, but it's a lot flatter (uuh, how do you call that?!?)
    I had some serious problems with the quality of the fingerboard. I had lots of buzzes and dead spots all over the fingerboard.
    I just got it back from my luthier today, he did a complete refinish of the fingerboard, and now it plays like a dream. (I wonder how this neck made it through the quality control...)

-Jens-

6. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    Bassius; it's the 35.

deathbloomslife; the neck is a little wider than my ESP (which at the nut, is the same width as a P-Bass). It's also a lot flatter, aposed to the rounder feel of the ESP. I actually like the wider, thinner neck more.

As for choosing a GW or a 'Vette, I can't help you. I've never played a fretless Corvette (I'd love to though!).