1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My GAS got to me... won a Precision on eBay!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperSnake2012, Jan 6, 2007.

1. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I was GASing for that P-bass tone so I won a MIM P-bass on eBay for $223 :hyper: According to the seller it's MIM, but the serial # he sent to me was for a 1994 Japanese Precision bass. I dunno if it's MIM with a Japanese neck but I'm pretty excited! :D It's a black body with a black pickguard and a maple neck, Roger Waters style. :bassist: I'll see if I like the pups when it comes, but I might throw in quarter pounders depending on how it performs.

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You can't go wrong with a nice P!

3. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    YEA!! I just bought TWO MIA's this week. Got one so far and it friggen rocks.. Btw Seymor Duncan BassLines sound REALLY good on them,

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Get some pictures up soon. :D

5. Sounds like a KILLER colour combo! Black on maple :hyper:
    Pics please!

6. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    Sounds Cool..I am gassing for a P myself..Wow that kind of sound weird if taken out of context!

7. SuperSnake2012

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Here is a pic of it. :hyper:

[​IMG]

According to the seller this is a MIM P but from the MIMs I've seen, the finish is a flat black where this one seems to have a more detailed finish, plus a maple fretboard. Also, the serial he sent me for a 1994 Japanese made bass, so I might have gotten an amazing deal :hyper: Is there a way to check on the bass itself where it's from?

8. Very Waters-esque..Jolly good find that is.

check the fender site for dating.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I don't remember any of the MIM basses having Maple boards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Could be a MIJ neck, could be anything really. Could be a Mighty Mite w/ a Fender Japan Decal.
    Might not even be a Fender.
    If it IS a MIJ/CIJ neck, it would be pretty clearly marked just above the heel. That would be hard to miss.
    Gotta be carefull on the Bay.

EDIT: Just noticed the extra screw hole in the pickguard just below the G string. That's something I've seen on 70's American Precisions, but never on an MIM.

10. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    at some point in its life, that bass has had both bridge and pickup covers on it.

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    You might have a Tokai Hard Puncher there that someone did the old switcharoo with the headstock decal.

Very good bass if that's what it is. Did a little looking around, and the Tokia copies had that extra screw and sometimes they had the ashtrays, like that one seems to have had at one time too. Those are VERY good basses. If that's the case, then it's too bad they swapped the decals, as it would be worth more with the correct Tokai decal on it than as a "faked" Fender.

Here's a pic of one.
    [​IMG]

12. Goose72

Goose72

Dec 24, 2006
    NW Indiana
    thats a sweet bass, even if its not a fender

13. SuperSnake2012

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    The bass's headstock appears to be '70s style Fender... the writing that says "PRECISION BASS" looks to be '70s style. The neck plate has the script Fender F and the tuners all say Fender on it. I don't think it's a copy, seems like too much work to do to sell a fake on eBay. Plus this guy has perfect feedback and sells tons of instruments.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Got any more pics??

I'm curious to know what this bass actually is now.

Where is the serial number located?

15. SuperSnake2012

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Serial number is located on the headstock near the Fender decal. Other pics the seller sent me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't really see the serial number in the pics, but according to the serial he sent me (S87xxxx), the bass is a 1994-1995 Japanese Fender.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    From what I've seen, and owned over the years, I'd say that's a picture of a Late 70's AMERICAN Fender Precision.

Definitly NOT MIM.

The S8 Serial number is also consistant with a late 70's American made(only place the were made at the time) Fender.

There are examples of the Fender Japan serial numbers duplicating the older American serial numbers. The S8XXXXX numbers would be and example of this.

As I don't see "Made/Crafted in Japan on the heel of the neck, and all the other features of this particular bass in the picture, I'd guess it was a late 70's MIA. Unless it says Made in Japan on the headstock, I'd say that's what you've got.

If that's the actual bass you recieve, I'd say you did VERY well for the price you paid. Even if it's some kind of MIJ (although I don't think so from the pictures) you still did very well.

I do find it hard to believe that someone who sells "tons of instruments" wouldn't know what that was, and really supprised they would list that as an MIM Fender. Just dosn't make a lot of sence.

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Great looking bass ... and having a sweet a P-bass isn't "GAS", it is your natural right as a bass player. Its in the constitution.

:bassist:

18. SuperSnake2012

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I contacted the seller and he said he did not modify anything, but he bought it from someone else, so who knows. It shipped last night so it'll be coming in on Friday maybe? I can't wait :)

19. SuperSnake2012

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Do you 1970's American Fenders have string through bodies? This one does not but I do not know much about older Fenders.

20. Ole Man Blues

Ole Man Blues

Jul 8, 2006
    Congrats....

The Fender Precision Bass is a "Friggin Thunderstick". It gets attention and mucho respect.

It was made to be played.:bassist: OMB