1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My gas is over...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Jun 28, 2012.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Hi my fellow bass brothers, it's been a while!

I just wanted to share my experience with GAS and how it ended for me.

I now gig mostly between Paris and London, and for these gigs now I own only 3 basses:

fender jazz bass custom shop 1964 NOS
    fender pbass Pino Palladino
    Musicman stingray from the beginning of the 90's with 2 band preamp.
    and my upright bass.

I 've owned what I consider the best basses in the world, played them, and really liked them a Lot, Fodera and Ken smith are high in my consideration .

But since I had the 3 basses, I never thought about getting something else, I get all the sounds I want for any gigs, don't even look at other people basses, don't care for vintage stuff (although my basses are vintage oriented lol).

the only bass I may need someday is a 5 string , but I'll buy one ( a cheap one like a squier) if only needed, otherwise, all my basses covers all territory.

I think My experience was to try everybasses I needed and wanted to try, to find out that my needs were basics, only regular basses, to fit every situation.

I wanted to share this and soon some pictures of my gear.
    is there any tber that are at the same point gearwise?

2. alstocko

alstocko

Apr 14, 2009
    Well done! You've reached bassist heaven!
    I've finally reached that way with amps with my Markbass LMT (albeit I don't use the tube a lot) and an Epifani UL2 112. What an incredible tone.
    I'm heading in the right direction with my Lakland Skyline JO5 (this may be it, but I don't want to jinx it!).
    Anyway, congrats on such a tasty set up!
    Stick with it!

3. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    The happiest married man is the one who is confident he was an "active" bachelor. Means you are never wondering if the grass really is greener because you know it isn't.

Didn't know there was such a thing as a 5 string Squier though. Will have to keep my eyes open for one.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    For now......;)

5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Take a look at these, they are nice and fun to play...;)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=squie...D06AHL3eWsBQ&ved=0CDUQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

6. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Why not complete it with g&l that way you got all leo's creation

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    there it is, cheap, but I'll buy it if I only need it, because most of the time I detune

http://www.thomann.de/fr/fender_squier_vint_mod_jazz_v_nt.htm?sid=786464e1f66dcbf7b65bff32897e3f1c

8. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    lol, see my previous gear , I really used to gas A LOT!!!
    now it 's as if I don't care!
    like when I began and I could only afford one bass and did it all with it without caring for another bass.

:bassist:

9. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Satisfied with what I got!!!!

10. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Beat me to it..

11. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ya, but you could get a G&L 5-string!

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Your gear say it all...

You got probably the very best basses/tones out there, and I really think I'd need no 5er, if I was you. It's ok to detune... factory detune and apply a Hipshot bass extender, a "BT3" for reverse winding Kluson style machineheads, or a straight "BT2".

Me, I'm coming from "blood & tears" acquisition of very first American Standard Jazz. A vintage white and tortoise shell.
    I "sacrificed" my Ibanez Soundgear SR4500E Prestige for it.
    It's at modster now, for detuning (I play full step downtuned) and for Hisphot BT8 bass extender.

For different kinds of music, I'm modding a formerly "standard" Squier Classic Vibe (olympic white an' tortoise shell pickguard) keeping it regularly tuned, but installing original Bartolini ultra mid/low neck pickup & SeymourDuncan HotStack bridge pickup
    (and, in this case, Hipshot BT7 bass extender... of course...).

More picks to come... anyway: I think my almighty GAS always
    strikes!

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. My GAS is gone. I used to lurk on TB all day long. Now I just stop in for the odd visit. This website feeds GAS like nobody's business.

14. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    No pun intended but it looks like you have your basses covered. Look at any new or modern bass being produced today. They offer nothing but tweaks on the basic sounds the basses you have create. All hail Leo Fender.

15. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    What about a Ric?

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    There are always pedals and amps!

17. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Absolutely

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    +1 to a G&L 5er when the need arises. Just makes sense and would be great homage to Leo as well. So in other words if you are over GAS we will GAS for you. :D

Black-n-Maple G&L 5er, Black-n-Maple G&L 5er, Black-n-Maple G&L 5er, Black-n-Maple G&L 5er... :bassist:

19. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm am getting closer to the end of my GAS, with a full Genz Benz rig, four string Jazz with drop tuner, 5 string American Deluxe Jazz with Seymour Duncan per and pu's. Just a few pedals and might experiment with per/pu's in the5 string depending on what it sounds like at a show this weekend. I totally understand that GAS can be curable!

20. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Congrats! I have also recently realized that I am content with the basses/amps in my arsenal.

There are still basses/amps I wish to own one day, but I am not frantically trying to sell stuff to make it happen! :D ...and it feels good!