Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My GB has arrived.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flanker, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    I hope you enjoy these pictures of my new GB bass I picked up a couple of days ago.

It is a Standard shape but with a through neck.

As Bernie says, he wants his guitars to look great, feel great and sound great. He has easily achieved all three here! ;)

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Mr Goodfellow builds a great ax. Congrats!

3. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Sorry about the picture quality, as is often the case they don't do the bass justice.

Anyway here's another.

4. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Last one.

5. imLOST

imLOST

Jan 12, 2003
    Iowa.
    Ow Ow! That is nice dude.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Have you played "The Chinese Way" on it yet? ;)

7. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    Woodchuck

I may be biased but I have to say this bass has the MOST devastating slap sound OUT!

I am playing it through an EBS TD 650 and an Eden 410 XST.

My AlembicMK and Jaydee are up for sale (really)!

8. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Very nice GB! If I didn't just order a new custom Status Stealth, I'd be very tempted to give Bernie a call!

9. is that the GB Spitfire model?

it's interesting they're doing it in a thru-neck version now as well as the bolt-on neck original.

I read that Mark King had trouble with the Spitfire bolt-on neck joint moving, so had thru-neck basses built- it was unclear whether those were the Spitfire or Rumour models though.

*EDIT*

just had a look at the GB website-
    http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/

and I see they call it the "standard" model now.

10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've talked with Bernie a lot about these basses.
    From what I understand, when MK had the trouble with the bolt-on ("GB-IV" at that time) model, he had a couple neck through Rumours made up:
    http://www.druidmedia.co.uk/gbguitars4/images/810.jpg

Then for reasons that aren't my business to discuss here, MK hooked back up with Status and the "Kingbass" was developed.

I believe that other than one from a UK Guitar Show last month, Flanker has one of the only neck-through Spitfire models. Very cool indeed.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very nice bass. I really dig that top. That's also one of the only basses I like with a maple fretboard and a matched headstock.

Good one.