Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my GB is buzzing like crazy! help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 21, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey there - got this GenzBenz Intro 90 amp today, mailed to me. looks fantastic and even sounds pretty good - but there's a small problem I wonder if you guys can help me with.

Anytime I plug anything into it, it buzzes like a bastard - like 60 Hz AC hum, only it's just the high pitched part, coming thru the tweeter.

I've tried every cable I can find, and it's only when something (a jack or even a finger) is touching the tip of the opposite cable end. Now, I'm not going to expect a refund from the guy or anything silly like that, just wondering if somebody can help me track down the issue - anybody knowledgeable in amps specifically?

thanks for any assistance!

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Dude, if you do that it buzzes. You are just hanging yourself on the input, picking up garbage from all the electric circuits around you.

I use that to see if stuff is working (OK bad, but you probly do it too).

Plug the cable into something like maybe your bass that's wired right, and see if it still does it then......unless you like that note.........

3. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    No, i mean it does that no matter what's on the other end, be it my finger or the inside of the jack on my bass, my tuner, anything at all.

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    OK sounds like the input jack maybe lost its ground internally.

Is it a plastic jack? I don't know squat about the GB stuff, haven't looked at it nor fixed any.

Might be a solder joint if its plastic. If its metal and tightened down to the chassis, they might have forgotten to scrape/keep the paint off the spot the jack goes. Or a different solder joint, etc, etc.

I would have said cable if you didn't say you tried more than one.

5. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    welllllll, how do I go about finding that out, then? the only local repair place is in the next state (the long way) and charges $65/hr with no beforehand estimate.

6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Well that kinda bites....

I don't know what kind of electronics capability you have....if not much, then you may be stuck.
    Can you resolder a bad connection if you find one?

Hate to say it, but repair guys get paid for knowing what you maybe don't have time or inclination for.

If you have or can borrow a little multimeter with an ohmmeter function in it, you can check to see if the metal shank of the guitar cord's plug is connected to the chassis of the amp when plugged in to the amp input (amp can be off, btw). I would think it should be with nearly any modern amp I know of......wiggle it, too.

That would tell you if the jack ground is open.

I guess the next step if that isn't any help is to try to find someone who has some electronics smarts locally, and see if they can help. The long distance diagnosis thing is kinda hard, but I don't mind trying it. Could be longer and more trouble than someone local....

If you go local, see if you believe the person you find. There are folks who don't know much, but know it kinda loud....you know, like your uncle's friend's brother in law who used to be an electrician....... that kinda deal.

7. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    thanks for trying man - preciate it a lot. So, what I'm going to do, from another bassist here at work trying to help, is:

- take the faceplate off and look for dangley wires (fingers crossed hoping that'll be all)

- if not dangley, unplug the tweeter to see if that's the problem itself. if so, leave unplugged until replacement can be installed or existing can be repaired =0)

- otherwise i'll try to check the ground with a DMM. I don't have one, but my best friend's my arcade-game technician.

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Ok, hope you can find it...let us know.