1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My GBE 750 review was published!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkee1, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    Hopefully this will conform to the Talkbass rules.

I wrote a review for another website of the GBE 750 amp from Genz Benz, and they published it. If anyone would like to read the review, PM me, and I will send you the link.

Thanks!

2. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    Here is my review, minus the offending link. PS I will also try to post this in the review section.

The Genz Benz GBE 750 Bass Amplifier
    Genzler has Done it Again!
    By Mark Fowler
    December 12, 2006

Genz Benz of Scottsdale, Arizona has come up with several innovative amplifier designs over the last few years, but the new GBE series is certainly one of the best. The GBE 1200 and it's younger brother, the 750, offer a solid tone, awesome power and a user friendly interface. It is also one of the most physically striking amps on the market today. Who says technology cannot be sexy?

Start with the brushed aluminum casing. While most amplifiers are blackface, the metallic face of the GBE 750 makes it stand out, and the substantial knurled knobs feel very solid. It looks and acts like a high end product. One of the musicians who works with this reviewer remarked that it looks like a Rolls Royce.

The GBE 750 has two sets of controls, one for each channel. It is a single input device, but offers you the option of using the FET (solid State) or Tube Preamp, or mixing them to get another tone all together. It also has three tone shaping buttons, and a 5 band shelving EQ for each channel. There is an amazing combination of tones available with these features, and they are easy to operate.

The tone shaping buttons have knobs next to them that allow you to adjust the amount of Low Boost, Mid Scoop of High frequency attack (HF), and can be turned on and off via the footswitch, which is included. The footswitch is made of rugged metal, and looks like it'll withstand a lot of gigging. It can be stomped on pretty hard. One small complaint, though; when the FET/ Tube button is engaged, there is an audible pop. I am sure this is easily gotten around, but might be something Genz Benz needs to address.

There is a lot of technical mumbo jumbo in the owners manual, but let's get into the sound of the thing. This reviewer has used it with a Genz Benz Neo-X 2x12 cabinet, and so far, found it to be amazing! It is clean, clear and articulate. It has one of the fastest transient responses this reviewer can recall hearing. When overdriven, the tube channel gives a thick, creamy tone, reminiscent of Jack Bruce, but where it excels is in the clean, FET channel. This amp is a natural for the funk/ fusion player. every nuance, every string click is heard, but in a musical way. No getting around it.; this amp rocks!!!

The GBE 750 is a tad on the heavy side, so eat your Wheaties if you plan to get one. The rackmount handles on the front are molded into the chassis, and it is unlikely they will bend or move, so it can serve as a carrying handle. However, it's best if one can get a case of some sort. Genz makes some great racks, like the EZ-sleeve, or you can see what is available in your favorite store.

If you are looking for a bass head that will revolutionize your sound, this is the one!!!

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    tanks so much for the wonderful review......you made my day!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Very Cool! Nice review [​IMG]

5. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Nice review man , thanks!
    Have you gigged with it yet ?

6. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    great review!

for what it's worth...neither my gbe750 nor my gbe1200 have an "audible pop" when 'the FET/ Tube button is engaged.'

regards,

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I couldn't agree more with funkee1's review other than to say that the GBE1200 takes it up a knotch further.

BTW, the GBE1200 and Classic Rock were made for each other. :hyper:

TD

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    the pop is in the footswitch me thinks because all of our switching is silent by design.

9. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    Nightly!!! And I love it!!!!!

10. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    Funny thing about that, BTW. It did it in Laughlin, but hasn't done it since I got to California.

Go figure!!!!!

That footswitch is better than the one that went with the GBE 600 too, and the fact that it's included..... Cool!

(I do miss the footswitcheable mute, though....)

11. I gave the GBE750 a test run and was rather disappointed in that I didn't have the cash to relieve the shop of this amazing amp. I got one the store emplyees to play a bass through it while I turned knobs and pushed in buttons like a man possessed. Silent, nol pops etc. I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on it.

12. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    Do it! It's Christmas... :hyper:

13. OK! I'll do it just for you. Yeah, it is Christmas and all. It's a time for happiness and being merry.....

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    the good news is that our distributor in Australia is one of the best we have globally. They're really supporting the line and brining in lots of product so, you shouldn't have any problem finding it in the future.

15. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I absolutely LOVE my GBE-750. In my opinion it's one of the most versatile amps out there.

16. This may be a silly question to some out there but what is the MAX power (watts) the GBE 750 puts out?

17. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    GBE Heads are rated at 2 ohms continuous, so the GBE 750 is a 750 watt at 2 ohm 'real load', not occasionnal or will tolerate, but will drive thru all 3 sets of your show. They actually sound beefier than their ratings. I own a GBE400, played a GBE600 quite a few times, and I'm going to get a GBE750 or GBE1200 as my next gear purchase.

Try it, and tou will probably fall in love.