Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My GC Experience/New Ampeg Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 25, 2003.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ok well as many of you know I posted a message saying I was going to go on tour and needed a new amp. I went down to GC and tried out a few things:

First of all the new GK models were not in which was dissappointing as I wanted to hear them but it wasn't too bad there was more to try. I then went over to the Mesa section. Personally this was not it for me, I didn't like the parametric EQ's, of course I couldn't use them all that well but even still with the regular tone controls I didn't find something I liked. No Eden stuff... so that wasn't possible. There wasn't any SWR gear except for an Goliath 2x10 and SM500 head. Then I went to Ampeg and tried everything out...

I plugged into the B2R and really liked the sound I ran this through a SVT810E first and then through the 610HLF and 410HLF cabs. Great sound. Then I tried the B4R... the guy hooked up in bridge mode and it wasn't nearly as loud. Something was seriously wrong with that as I was using the same volume and gain settings as the B2R and I wasn't getting the same sound... I then tried the SVT3-Pro and even though the guy said it was louder than the B2R and I told him that many of you hear said it didn't sound like 450 watts. He said whoever that was, was... well something along the lines of non-experienced I think but anyways, I tried it and you were all right it's no where near as loud as the B2R. After that I made my purchase and came home with the B2R and SVT610HLF. Paired up they are great, the B4R was a little spendy and I would've bought it if I had the money and knew it was going to be louder than the B2R.. which it wasn't. Oh and it wasn't running in stereo either. Well anyways, if anyone could help me figure out some of these volume issues with these other heads or has any comments I'd like to hear'm. Later.:bassist:

2. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I just played an outdoor gig with my SVT-III and on Eden 8-ohm 410 wich means the amp was running at something like 275 watts and I was cutting through like a razor. It was glorious. So don't be so quick to discredit it.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm not discrediting it it's just the fact that it was not loud as it was rated as everyone said. However I have a feeling GC wasn't hooking things up right. The B4R was no where near as loud as the B2R in bridged mode? Somethings gotta be wrong there.