1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My gear is not great and I live it!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnnyChatter, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I have played bass for years now. I have to many basses to count. The other day my friend asked me why I play my mim fender jazz and my mij aerodyne live but you never see me grab my Mia fenders. I told him they aren't the same. Everyone is on this awesome bass tone kick and I already found mine. One of my crappy fenders through my traynor 800 watt head to my fender pro 810. I always get complaments on my sound... I have the money and access to anything I want. Why does the price of my gear matter?

Also I ment love not live it.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Gear doesn't have to cost a lot to sound great.

3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Price of gear will get you less smack from snobs. But there will always be snobs out there for whatever, so yeah, price doesn't matter. Play a MIM Fender, some snob smirks and thinks you suck cause you don't play a MIA Fender. Get a MIA Fender, and another snob mocks you for not playing a Ric. Get a Ric, and someone will say you're lame since your bass isn't custom built. Go Warmoth and another monkey-snugglemuffin laughs for not having a proper decal and so on...

Just let them eat cake!

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    When YOU are happy with your sound and equipment you tend to be more comfortable and confident...which usually means you play better. Bass doesn't have to be a high tech "game of inches", sometimes it's more like digging a ditch than rendering a a sculpture.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I hear you, but Wouldn't exactly call that cheap gear though..... What.... $2k+?

6. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    There are gear snobs out there that would probably be like, "Oh... that's it? My gear costs as much as my car- aha, aha, aha..."

Oddly enough, I think there's a club like that around here, except they're not snobs :)

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hands are what counts.

8. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    hahaha yup there IS a club like that! and you're right, it's really for those of us whose craptastic cars pale in comparison even to modest gear :D

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It doesn't.

10. Would hardly call a MIM or Aerodyne bass a crap instrument. After playing both, I find it difficult justifying the extra few hundred dollars for a MIA Fender.

I play my cheap basses live all the time. No complaints from band, crowd or the soundie at the board.

11. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I wouldn't call an Aerodyne crap or cheap, either.

I think as long as you can play the instrument well and you've found the sound for you, then that's all it matters. I don't play expensive gear either - I got my MIJ Power Jazz for about $600 and all my effects pedals are second-hand - but it's good enough for bands and for playing live. The majority of people you play to in a live situation have no idea what type of bass you're playing, let alone the difference between models. All they care about is the sound and whether you're playing the right notes.

12. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I have played and gigged a ton of stuff, including basses that cost thousands. While I am still chasing some higher end stuff, I have found that if you listen with your ears and not your eyes/checkbook, there are some great instruments out there that do not meet the minimim requirements of being capable gigging basses by general consensus. This is usually based on narrow minded thinking and tied to country of manufacture.

I bought one of the new mim Antigua P's recently and I can't put the stupid thing down. It is an absolute beast, playing quietly or at volume. While I always take a couple of MIA's with me to practice, the Antigua P keeps getting the nod. I am seriously considering buying a second one just to stash, since Fender limited production.

I guess I have gotten to the age where I play whatever instrument adds tonal quality to the band, and don't care if I am not cool in the eyes of others.

13. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    You've got plenty of good choices based on your description!

14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Gear doesn't have to be expensive. My main bass is an MIA Fender, but my others are sub-$500 copies. My amp is a 200 watt Acoustic combo.

That said, I'm totally happy with my sound. If be confident playing just about anywhere, provided there is PA support. My amp may not be the loudest, but I get a great tone from it.

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've played plenty of inexpensive equipment that sounds and played fine. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean crappy.

16. We LISTEN. That's what it's all about.

I love the quote the says, "...like the kid that walks into the room with a four thousand dollar rig that plays and sounds like crap."

In other words, the instrument sound plus the sound from your hands are what matters. My son has a $250.00 Ibanez with a P/J configuration -- that bass has an incredibly great growl and tone color regardless of price. I LOVE the way that bass sounds. PERIOD.

Lastly, one of my favorite looks ever for any bass player is the classic pic of Steve Harris with one foot up on the monitor, wrinkled/intense look, mouth open and he's tearing it up mid-concert with sweaty hair, etc. What makes the picture great? The West Ham United football club sticker on his bass.
    :bassist:

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I keep me mentioning a local guy I know that plays the same P.O.S. Squier bass and it has been his only bass for decades. (By P.O.S., I mean it is roadworn as hell, been modded many times, etc... sounds great though).

He tours with many famous Canadian acts (Guess Who as an example) and is a killer bassist. Good enough for him, good enough for most of us.

If anyone ever came up to me and laughed at a bass I was playing (my Squier as an example), I would tell them to &@#% off. Kills me that the logo on a headstock is so important.

Note: Almost all of my basses are in the $2000+ category, but I love gigging my Squier VM Jazz.

18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    I have a 400 watt tube pre/power amp setup with a decent small cab, and 4 basses, and I probably have ~$1300 into all of it.
    I like the way I sound.

Good gear doesn't have to be costly.

wraub

19. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Amen, brother!

20. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I get frequent complements on the look and tone of my Jazz bass. It's a modded SX. I have about $250 in it. Don't care what other bass players think of it!