Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my gear plans, and your opinions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Mar 28, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    first off...i'm sorry if i sound like i'm talking too much about this, but i'd like to hear all of your opinions about this.

okay...so my current setup is an mia jazz (natural/maple), qsc rmx 850 (bridged into 4 ohms), ampeg svp pro, kord dtr 2, and a peavey 810 tvx (handles 400 watts).

now...i play in two REALLY LOUD rock bands, and most of the venues we play only have a pa for vocals. asking everyone to turn down is also not much of an option. i want to be able to be heard and felt in a loud band situation. so this is what i'm thinking about doing...

putting dimarzio ultra jazz p'ups in my jazz, upgrading my power amp to a qsc rmx 1450 (bridged into 4 ohms), and getting an ampeg 810e (handles 800 watts).

my first thought was to just upgrade the power amp, but someone said that if the peavey is already taking as much as it can, then more power wouldn't make much of a difference. the ampeg handles twice the power, so i'm guessing that will help. i don't use the horn, so that's not a big deal either. i have a guy lined up that wants to buy my peavey, and i'm getting a great deal on the ampeg, so the money isn't that big of a deal. then i can upgrade the power amp, and get new pickups down the road.

i just want a huge (hitting) sound that's balanced and that cuts through, and has sufficient low end. what do you all think of my plan? does it sound like a go?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds OK to me.

3. Sounds good to me as well. I like my Ampeg 810, and would like to get a more powerful head to push it more. I think that if I got a Mesa 400+ or something of the like it would sound a bit better. You should be happy with it!

jtbp

4. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    awesome...that's kinda what i wanted to hear. thanks.