1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My geddy has inlays....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I went out and bought myself a Geddy jazz on my birthday, July 5th, of this year.... I was playing it today, and the way the sunlight hit it, i was looking at the fingerboard, and the clearcoat showed that the blocks are inlays... I remember reading that the Geddy used to have inlays, but then they started painting them on.... but Mine are clearly inlays... does anyone have any insight on this?

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Old stock.

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    whats the serial number. It should reveal the year. I don't know when they changed over for sure but I am guessing somewhere around 2003 or 2004

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    July 5th was my birthday!:hyper:

5. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    It's an '07 geddy. i bought it brand new, but thats what stumps me.... If they stopped with the inlays in '04, then why does my '07 have inlays? I dont really care either way, i know it's just aesthetic and doesnt do anything for the sound, however, i think its just kinda strange.

6. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Thats rad. Its cool that i share someone's birthday on the forum. Happy MUCH belated birthday.

7. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    Include me in this post, 7/5 is my birthday too!

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm stumped on that one if you bought it new...I bought an 06 Geddy new in 07 and it's got the painted blocks...never bothered me much though...

Does it have "Limited Edition" printed on the neckplate? Those are also common on the 02-04's or whenever they had the real blocks. Mine is just a blank mirror :meh:

Gotta love Fender cuttin' those corners...thankfully it's not on anything that really matters like the PUPs or general quality of the build

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Or so you think! Have you read the clay dots thread?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406048&highlight=clay+dots

10. Then maybe you could share Emma Watson w/ him!

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hell naw.

13. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Hey tyler, how is that old bass with block inlays that I gave you holding up?

14. Well if you look at the specs from the Fender site, it lists "Unique Features: Black Fingerboard Binding with Black Rectangular Shaped Position Markers". If they were in fact inlays, they would have been listed as such. If you have a model with actual inlays. I would say nice scoop. Look at the serial number and see what that tells you.

15. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Weird, on mine, wich is one of the ones with the "Limited edition" Neck plate, I can see the woodgrain through the inlays.. But i know that the bindings are real, Figured that one out when changing the nut..

16. stupid corner cutting corperations...
    the quality goes down, but the price goes up...
    boooooooooooo.....

17. Pictures up close? Show us the fretboard.

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I don't know if this is accurate or not, but recently there was a thread wherein a guy was asking opinions on whether to get a Geddy or a Darryl Jones Skyline. One of the guys who answered him said that while the D.J. has actual inlays, the Geddy has either painted blocks or plastic inlays. I might have misread it, but I got the impression that the newer ones have the plastic inlays. You might want to search for that thread. I think it was, "Geddy Lee or Darryl Jones?" I'd do it for you, but I need to go mow the grass. :crying:

19. Just purchased one of these bad boys. If you ask me these are not inlays. One of the reps at the music store said, "oh yea if you look closely you can see the raised edge around the inlays". Well having painted quite a few things in my time, and shot a coat of clear over it, I know that unless you water sand the graphics before you clear; then the edging will be evident. Either that, or quite a few coats of clear.

Any whoooo, I took a snapshot of the neck so have a look.

Attached Files:

20. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Another way to check is lightly tap on the fretboard with your fingernail. Tap on a section without the block, then with. If it does have actual inlays, it should sound different than areas without (since the wood is thinner and the inlays are a different material).

I did this with the GL I had (newer model), they they were painted on.

Personally, I would think since the neck of the GL is so thin, I would not want the inlays....the more wood the better!