My Geddy's a comin'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomd03, Dec 27, 2004.

1. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Hey all, I'm really excited since i ordered my new GL a few days ago, and it should be here at the most by the end of january, and i cant wait:D

i traded in my old Cort Curbow 4 (great starting bass, just as advice) and my parents payed half the remainder, and i payed half for a christmas present :)

so i'll soon be a member of the great GL bass club, and i can't wait to get my hands on that beauty neck of the bass :)

quick question to add: is it worth adding new pups, or will it lose the growl?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great bass. New pups wont make it worse, but the stock ones are fine.
  3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First, congrats, if you like yours half as much as I like mine, you'll have problems putting it down. DR HiBeams and LoRiders highly recommended IMHO. I get tons of bright growl out of mine with the HiBeams. Slinky goodness! :)

On the pickups, I had the same concern, as I loved the sound of the original "vintage" pickups, but soon grew weary of the typical hum... especially in a couple places we play which are kinda' brutal.

However... I did VERY happily find out that a set of straight up DiMarzio Model J pickups (DP-123) sound very similar, and are drop in replacement passive humbuckers. If it weren't for the fact that I also rewired mine to be pan-vol-tone (hate having to reset blend all the time), there'd be no routing or rewiring necessary at all. Anybody can put them in, and they don't cost a lot, either. Plenty of output and awesome tone.

IMHO, anyway.
  4. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Could those Dimarzios just as easily drop into a MIM Standard jazz? So the Hibeams are bright, how about the lowriders? I'm looking to make both those mods to my recently purchased MIM Jazz. Though now I wish I would have dropped the extra bucks on the Geddy Lee bass, nicer looking too. :meh: Thanks, E.D.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Do you suggest nickel or SS Lo-Riders for a Geddy and why? I need a new set of strings :/
  6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think so. I think it was just the Squiers that were weird about the pickups... both being the same size. On a "real" Jazz, the bridge pickup is a bit longer than the neck pickup. So, if you measure yours and they're diff lengths (most likely), they should work great.

The main diff on the HB's vs the LR's is not necessarily brightness, as the LR's also come in stainless (as well as nickel). The main diff is the hex core (vs round), which gives you a "stiffer" string... allows you to set the action a little lower (hence the name), which is why some slappers like them a bit better. I tend to like the HB's 'cause they're just a bit slinkier and I actually use fret buzz like Geddy does to get that "angry growl" out of the bass. The harder you dig into my GL the better it sounds. :)

I do love my Geddy, but whether you mod this one or sell/buy to get a GL, is up to you, and I'd strongly recommend you make that decision before you touch the MIM. You won't get that money back if you do.

You can even put a BadAss II bridge on yer MIM, but the one thing you can't (realistically) do is shave the neck down to match, and move the bridge pickup. Thing is, both of those things are purely subjective, and the basses will sound a bit different, so if you're considering switching, play a GL first just to be sure (tho most who do fall head over heels and GAS for it or buy it immediately after). I did. :)
  7. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004

How exactly is the Geddy Lee neck "shaved down"? Does that mean the fretboard is made less wide up near the higher frets? Back shape?
  8. BlackBass9

Dec 4, 2004
    Welcome to the Club!. I got mine 2 months ago and I can't put it down. I just love that blonde neck. Stock pups are fine to get that GL growl, and you can't go wrong with Lo-Riders.

and stuff...
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The neck is narrower at the nut, and also has a thinner front to back profile. It widens out to normal thickness and profile around the 8th or 9th fret.