My Generation Solo?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Obsolex, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    What is the My Generation Solo? Who is it by?:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  2. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    The Who - My Generation

bassist: The late great John Entwistle :)
  3. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yer not serious?
  4. Why is this solo sooo popular? IMO it doesn't even sound to well,the whole song is a bit annoying,or maybe it's my version:)

5. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Why you ignorant little .....:mad:

Seriously, it's all about personal taste. But what you might want to recognise is that this recording is a milestone in rock, not only from a bass-perpective. It's also the first time you can hear roundwounds on record, to the best of my knowledge.
    Are you sure you have the right version, by the way? There are some pretty nasty live-cuts circulating out there, none of them are doing the song any justice.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    When us old geezers that play in Classic Rock bands play the solo note-for-note in a crowded bar, the audience goes Nutz! ;)

Also, IMO, it's fun to play...
  7. The bass solo on My Generation was the first recorded bass solo of note and that's why it is popular. IIRC the track on the album was actually recorded with a Fender Jazz strung with flats.
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    First notable recorded bass solo in *Rock* that is :)
  9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    IIRC, this song was recorded using a Danelectro bass that required special strings. Entwhistle broke the strings during the solo and because the store had no strings for the bass, he had to buy another bass to record the song. I think this actually happened more than once.
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    and on "electric" bass
  11.'s just my opinion,heh.

I think the version is live...

I would like to learn the solo,I think the solo itself isn't too bad...

thanks to you "old geezers" for the History Lesson;)

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a Lionel Hampton album with a Pbass solo.
    It was recorded in 1962 I think.

So, My Generation was the first rock bass solo.
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Evidently the meaning of my post is not clear. I am not disputing that My Generation was the first "rock" bass solo, because I don't know. What I meant was that there were bass solos recorded on a double bass long before the electric.
  14. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Try to find the original version - it is awesome...

And oh, I'm younger than you are ;)
  15. Although John did play the Danos with the unobtainable strings, he is on record as stating that he recorded MG on a Fender Jazz.
  16. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    John Entwistle answers the string/bass question himself in the latest (winter) issue of Bass Guitar Magazine:

"I started doing the solo on a Danelectro because I liked the strings and the Danelectro solos were a lot faster than the final solo. We were doing concerts at the same time we were doing the recording, so I was breaking strings, but you couldn't get the strings for them so I had to buy a new bass each time. I had just broken a string on my third Danelectro when they said we are recording at ten! I didn't have another bass so I went out and bought a Fender Jazz bass and put on some tapewound La Bella's. That was all the shop had. So I ended up using an amp, which was a Marshall 50 watt, a 4x12 and a Jazz Bass with Flatwound strings."

Sorry about the lengthy quote, but the Ox says it much better than I ever could !!!

17. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    i dont consider a solo, just little bass licks. like system of a down bass is.
  18. Anyone who doesn't understand that solo, IMO, doesn't understand the soul of the bass, and what it means to be a bass player.

It's one of the first great, popular, ground-breaking, rock bass solos. That is, if it's not the first.

And If you ever want to hear the real John Entwistle, just check out "The Real Me", the whole freekin' "Live at Leeds" and "Quadrophenia" albums, and the "Live at Royal Albert Hall" DVD.

By the way, if anyone is not satisfied with the studio version of the song and solo, just check out the "Live at Leeds" version. I'm pretty sure you'll change your mind ;)

For anyone who is intersested, I will post a link to the "My Generation" solo, tabbed on GuitarPro3, later on.
  19. Yeah, Live At Leeds is a great album.