Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My generation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, May 27, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I have a question
    How could I get the tone of the great master John Entwistles bass on My generation..
    what kind of bass was he playing?
    a fender Jazz or something? i saw a video of him playing and he had a natural color fender... thats all i saw though..so if you could tell me how to possibly get my tone... and what type of fender it is then it would be greatly apriated.. if anybody can tell me how to spell that damn word.. it would be.. um thanked.. lol

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have two answers, really;

- If you see early Who photos, or read about the original recording, you'll find Entwistle was using a Danelectro :eek: with roundwounds. Supposedly, he had to run out during the recording and buy a third Danelectro after breaking the strings on 2 others, (you couldn't easily find sets roundwounds at that time).

- I sat about 18 rows away from the opera hall stage when the Who was on their first national US tour, (they were 2nd bill to Herman's Hermits :rolleyes: ). Entwistle was using a Fender Precision run through 2 Sunn 2x15's, (ahh, the days before bass pedals and racks!), and Rotosound Swing 66's, of course.
    When he broke out his solo lines on "My Generation", it sounded as good as the recording - all the sharp treble and zzzing was there but the fuller bass of the Precis vs the Danny made his sound way more powerful than what the recording tech. back then could ever capture.

And using a very flexible Herco pick, as he did for the song at that time, lets you do those "trills" on the strings during the solo lines.

Glad you may "appreciate" this info.

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    thanks man
    funny you mention ive been thinking about a danelectro for a while.. for a vintage tone..
    im in a punk band called the angry mennonites..
    page coming up in the next week and our album "fun fun fun till daddy takes the doofi away" should hit a couple local consignment record stores..... its mostly black flag style 80s punk...
    but enough on that..
    thanks for that info..
    I found a Danelectro DC bass for like 200 dollars at this local music shop.. i picked it up.. and i played it.. and it felt so good.. the neck did.. and i liked the tone a whole damn lot.. so i might go and buy it..
    i played the sting p bass ...I hated it.. do the 51 p basses play like the sting p bass and sound like it?
    I hope not.. cause i really love the way it looks
    but until then yeah i must capture that tone for my recordings

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    "My Generation" was actually recorded, in the end, using a Fender Jazz bass with Rotosounds on.
    (After J.E. had got through 2 or 3 Danelectro's!)
    The Amp would most likely have been a "Hiwatt".

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    :D
    That is as bad as Hendrix opening for The Monkees.
    ...or Miles opening for The Steve Miller Band.

And you were there for The Who's FIRST US tour?!
    Watch it, Rick...you'll be president of the TalkBass Fossil Club if you keep talking like that! ;)

Now, about P-basses & Danelectros.
    There's a friend of mine playing in a '60s Beatle-ish/"Wonders"-ish cover band. ;)
    This friend is actually a pianist who plays guitar who plays drums who plays bass(taught me A LOT when we were in high school).
    Anyway, this guy plays a '64 P-bass + an old Danelectro in this band(actually, he's now the drummer in the band). He plays the Danelectro because-
    1)It looks 'cool'
    2)Since he's not a 'real' bassist, the P-bass becomes too heavy & he switched to the featherweight Longhorn.

Honestly, I really can't tell the difference in his tone(he's playing with a pick through a '60s Vox amp...very McCartney-esque).

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ya know I seen a old Blk&Wht cut of the Who doing My Generation on some German version of Bandstand or something and he played a Fender Jazz and used a Pick for the whole tune even the solo!
    I was blown away!

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ever seen the version on "The Kids Are Alright"? He used his fingers, playing way up high on the strings with his right hand.

That tone was so juicy that I tried forever to emulate it. I never got it and decided to move on, though that tone sticks in my head like glue!:D