Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Generation?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 25, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    THe my generation solos although being awesome, arenn't that hard to learn if you plug away at them. I have learnt them from the tabs in talkbass, and i can play them according to the tab. BUT; when i listen to the record John Entwistle plays it very, very fast and also like his tone setting is on about 20! how does he get this sound and how can i get it? if it's possible to get it, as he is god!

2. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Entwistle did a Hot Licks instructional video that explains some of the "secrets" of his technique, which is pretty unorthodox. He plays for a while, then explains a bit about what he was doing, then plays some more. I can't remember the specific techniques he discusses, because I lent the tape out a few weeks ago and haven't gotten it back. The only tip I remember about his tone was that he maxes out the volume and treble controls (which he said he started doing just to be heard over Townsend's guitar and Moon's drums). The video's worth checking out, just for the rare opportunity to see him play up close. Mostly, it convinced me that he's one of a kind.

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've read that Entwistle got the sound on My Generation by using a Danelectro bass, which had special thin, wiry strings, which gave that sort of tone. However, after buying a Danelectro specifically for the bass solo, a string snapped. Apparently, there were no replacement strings for the Danelectro available in London at the time, so Entwistle had to buy another bass. The strings on that bass snapped too, so he had to go out and buy a third Danelectro, which he finally managed to record the solo with!

Anyway, it's great to see there are other Ox fans on here! Did you see the Who on their tour this year? My Generation has a great solo, but the solo he did on 5.15 was amazing! I don't suppose anybody has managed to tab one of those solos?

4. apparently the strings on the third Dano broke too, and he actually used a Jazz bass strung with Labella flatwounds (new non-dead ones, presumably) to record it.
    that 5.15 solo sounds like he's doing two-handed tapping, which I've never heard him doing before.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...what about the LIVE AT LEEDS version of "My Generation"? Isn't that the version that MOST cite when talking about that solo?
    In any event, IMO...
    1)He's using Rotosound roundwound strings
    2)Is playing about where the pickup would be on a P-bass
    3)Is plucking very hard

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Based on seeing/hearing him on the Who's second US tour, (when "My Generation" had just hit the charts), get a pre-CBS Fender P, Rotosound SS roundwounds, about a quarter-acre of Sunns, get the "Hanging Ten" lesson at Harmony Central down pat, and take cello lessons. Among the other instruments he can play, I think his superb fretting techniques are the result of his cello training.

7. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    It also probably helps that his fingers look like they're about eight inches long. I saw the tour this year in Atlanta, and the solo on 5:15 was just absurd. I found an MP3 of his 5:15 solo from another show on Pete Townsend's web site -- it was part of Pete's tour diary. If you missed the tour, or especially if you didn't, look for it.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is a story that John has repeated in interviews many time - but you got the wrong ending! I have this interview in a magazine. The part about the Danelectro is right, but he said that he had a much more complicated solo planned, than appeared on the record, but broke the strings every time. Eventually they used up all these strings in London, even after buying more basses as a last resort. Eventually, he used a Fender Jazz,with standard roundwounds but simplified the solo!

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, it's not two-hand tapping. I've seen him do this a number of times: "pedaling" and pull-offs. He'll strike a string (say "D") while open then hammer-on with his left-hand on a fret (say the 7th fret, or "A") then pull-off. It's a technique, that if played properly, is pretty cool. Also not too difficult to master...just looks cool:oops: since he does it well over the span of the entire fretboard!

10. Thanks for the explanation, RAM.
    that sounds a bit like what Billy Sheehan does in his NV solo- tapping an open string at the 12th fret to get the harmonic then hammering on from the 5th to the 7th.
    I've stolen that idea and put it in as a fill when my covers band play House Of Pain's "Jump Around"- unlikely but true........:)