Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "German" bass...pictures and origin?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AMJBASS, Sep 2, 2004.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I posted earlier this summer when I bought this 7/8ths "German" bass. The bass has a spruce top, maple sides, however I am not sure what the back is. It is possible that it could be maple. The grain is very wide. It appears that the bass was refinished at some point. The top is a little blotchy, and the back and sides are quite a bit lighter than the top. I have been trying to find out more about the origin of this instrument. It is fairly obvious that the bass was made in Europe(German/Czech/Bohemian), and likely turn of the century. The String Emporium has a Benjamin Patochka bass that is very similar to my instrument. I am still examining the pictures, but it does seem possible that they are related. One thing is for sure. This is easily one of the best basses I hvae ever played. It sounds absolutely huge! The dimensions of my bass are:

Upper Bout: 20"
    Middle: 14 1/2"
    Lower Bout: 27"
    Body Length: 46"
    String Length 42"

I have taken a few pictures of my bass:

2. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here are a couple of the back:

3. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here are a few of the Patochka:

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Looks nice and I think the Origin is about what you estimate. Maybe more Bohemian/Czech than German in the modern sense but tone, playability and condition is your most important concern.

5. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The bass plays absolutely wonderfully. It is a joy to play. I have never played a bass that is this responsive and loud. Here is a picture of the 2 scrolls. The one on the left is mine, the right the Patochka:

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Both Basses are nice. The one you showed has different FF holes than yours and looks a bit older. With your Bass possibly having new varnish, it's hard to compare age and patina. Your Back is European Maple.

7. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Patochka has a label with circa 1931 on it. I think my bass is older. From what I have researched, my bass should date about late 1800's. Originally my bass had a 44" string length, with a dyed whitewood fingerboard. The previous owner had a highly flamed maple neck grafted in, with an Ebony fingerboard. The string length is now 42" and it is a "D" neck. It is possible that the bassbar was integrated. A new one has been put in it. Most of these basses were made in that turn-of-the-century time period.

8. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Adrian, how deep are the ribs on that bass?