Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My gig last night (8-string envy)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jazzbo, Nov 14, 2000.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    At my gig last night, we had several bands playing. The band that got up before me had a bass player who whips out this sweet 8-string monster. He plugs it in and just starts funkin' up the place right away. He was playing through someone else's amp, a horribly underpowered SWR combo. Once the music started you could barely here him, when the drums and guitar kicked in, he was drowned out. So I got up, and played my set. He liked my rig so much (my new Firebass and Peavey 410) that he decided to play again with the next band. Finally, I got to hear him through the other instruments. The man was awesome, he was creating beautiful chords, funky slap techniques, rich bottom tones, and nasty solos! It was a pleasure to watch him.

It kind of sucked being sandwiched in between this guy for two sets. I was sure to tell him to NEVER go on before and after me again, it makes me look real bad. :) Excellent player, it was my first time seeing a 8-string player live. I give props to all you guys out there that can handle that beast, it's got some beautiful sounds.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when you say 8 string, do you mean a 4 string with doubled/octave strings, or an 8 string with 8 individually tuned, seperate strings?

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    8 individually tuned, separate strings. He said it was tuned B-E-A-D-G-C-F-B.

I hope I got those last two strings right!

I think his fretboard was about 3 and a half feet wide! :)

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    who made his bass? do you know? what was his name?

the last string was probably a Bb

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry, it was a long night, so I'm kind of sketchy on the details, but:

I remember somebody saying something about the bass being a name, with the initials JJ. Does that ring a bell? I can't think of any bass manufacturers that are two names, initialed JJ, off the top of my head. I remember it looked like a KOA design, neck through body, and I think it was a five piece neck. Black hardware, neck and bridge pickups, active electronics.

I can't remember his name, I think it was Dave, but I could be dead wrong on that one. He was probably in his 30s, average height white male, short brown hair. He wore his bass relatively high and played a mostly thumb style. He mentioned to me that he played mostly through Peavey.

Does this help at all?